Saturday, April 9, 2011

Favorite Books of the Week


Who Will Plant a Tree? by Jerry Pallotta features different animals on each page going about their daily business while unknowingly dispersing seeds that eventually grow into trees.  Seeds stuck in the fur of a black bear fall off and become an apple tree, a goose migrates with a chestnut burr stuck to her feathers and when it falls off, a chestnut tree is planted, etc.  This is a great introduction to how the actions of each creature impact the earth.  We really enjoyed this book!

A Very Big Bunny by Marisabina Russo is about a very big bunny named Amelia who struggles with being the tallest bunny in the class.  The other bunnies won't play with her at recess because they can't turn the jump rope high enough and her feet are too big for hopscotch.  Amelia decides to keep to herself until a new student joins the class - Susannah, a very small bunny.  Together they learn a great lesson about being yourself and fitting in.  I love the way Amelia gains confidence in this book.

C brought Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes home from the school library.  It is very fitting because he is definitely a worrier.  Wemberly worried about everything, and then it was time to start school and Wemberly worried even more.  This is a great book for worriers and for children starting school for the first time.  C and R love the book and their favorite illustration is Wemberly's rollerblading grandmother!!  Too funny!  Have I mentioned how much we love Kevin Henkes?

For more great reads, head on over to What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.
  

7 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Who Will Plant A Tree looks like a good match fro Planting the Wild Garden.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow - all three books look awesome! The first one is very similar to Planting the Wild Garden that I reviewed on Wednesday, so maybe we can see if we can get it for reinforcement. Thank you for joining WMCIR!

Susana said...

That Very Big Bunny looks adorable and so does the tree book.

Off to request these and hoping my library has them!

I hope you are feeling well. Sickness let up yet? Sure hope so! You better post another pic when a month has come and gone:-). Gotta see how you are growing:-). Hey, isn't there like only a couple more weeks to see if you are having a boy or girl? I know you posted this about two weeks ago, but I forgot. OK, I'll stop this "way too long comment/should have been an email"--LOL!

Thinking about you!

Ticia said...

I was going to say the same thing as your first two comments.......

I LOVE Kevin Henkes.

Okay, I better finish packing now.

Susan said...

Some of the comments I would have made have already been made :)
So, I will add that I also LOVE Kevin Henkes!

Sherri said...

I love when you do book reveiws!

Debbie said...

All these books sound so good. I will have to see if I can find them at the library.