Friday, April 15, 2011

Hatching Chicks (of the Marshmallow Variety)


We are currently reading The Easter Chick by Geraldine Elschner.  Hilda the hen laid an egg and waits weeks for her baby to hatch.  One day she hears a voice from inside the egg asking, "Mother, when is Easter?".  Hilda is not sure because the date seems to change every year.  The little chick wants to hatch on Easter Sunday to be a true Easter chick, so Hilda sets out on a mission to find out how to determine when it will be Easter.  Luckily, the wise old owl offers up an answer to help the little chick.  This is a nice book to help children understand why the date changes.  The book also offers hidden bunnies to be found throughout the book, as well as religious symbols (a church, three crosses on a hill in the background).   


I thought it would be fun to make a hatching chick treat.  I made marshmallow crispy treats in the shape of eggs and arranged marshmallow chicks hatching out of the eggs. 


I also used cookie cutters to make marshmallow crispy bunnies with candy, sugar, and icing eyes, noses, whiskers, and ears. 

8 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I LOVE your hatching chick! The Easter Chick sounds like a sweet book!

Kelly said...

Cute! I've not read this book before, but it sounds good.
little wonders' days

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

How much fun is that!

Sherri said...

That hatching chick is to die for!!!
Great ideas...again!

Anonymous said...

cute!! I would love to eat some of those :-)

Elle Belles Bows said...

Oh my gosh! How cute is the hatching chick treat?? CUTE!!

Kerri

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a cute snack! I have to look for this book.

Susana said...

OH, I LOVE the hatching chick! That is the cutest idea! I may do this for Easter weekend--thank you!