Friday, April 8, 2011

Easter Borax Crystals

I recently saw a post featuring Easter Borax Crystals at Housing a Forest.  We bought a box of Borax just a few weeks ago to make bouncy balls, and I knew C and R would both love making crystals so we gave it a try.

First, we made chick and Easter egg shapes out of pipe cleaners.  C and I did most of the work on this; it was tricky for R, but she tried to help a little.

Then, we tied string around each pipe cleaner shape and then tied the string around a bamboo skewer.  Every set of directions I read, recommended putting each shape in it's own container with about 3 cups of boiling water and 1/2 cup of Borax.  I didn't have enough individual containers to put each shape in alone so we filled a plastic beach pail with boiling water and Borax.  I used 1/2 a cup of Borax for every 3 cups of boiling water. 


You need enough water to submerge the pipe cleaner shapes if you want crystals to form around the entire shape.  Our beach pail was not big enough for this, so we could not submerge the very top of our shapes.  It is important that the pipe cleaners not touch the sides or bottom of the container, or the crystals will attach to the container and it will be difficult to remove the shapes.  We put the pipe cleaner shapes in the Borax solution before dinner time and I was concerned that the beach pail method wasn't going to work because there were no crystals when I went to bed. 



Needless to say, we were all very happy to wake up and find crystals this morning!  As you can see, the tops of our shapes (the part that was not submerged in the Borax solution) do not have crystals.  This actually became a great opportunity to discuss how the crystals form and the reason why the crystals did not form at the top of the shapes. 

When the sun shines through, the decorations will look very pretty and sparkly hanging in our windows!


I am linking this to Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.  You can find great science projects for kids over there every Sunday.

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow! That's amazing! I didn't know that could happen!

Ticia said...

Ooooohhhhh, maybe that's our Easter activity we'll do today. My kids have realized Easter is soon and all they can think is "When do we dye eggs......"

Brimful Curiosities said...

I just saw this yesterday at Housing a Forest. Never thought of using pipe cleaners to make crystals. Your Easter decorations turned out very pretty.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We've done this with snowflake shapes, but what a good idea to use for Easter decorations - the little pipe cleaner chicks are soooo funny!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What an awesome idea - I love how your crystals turned out and that you could also fit in a little experimentation about why they are NOT forming out of borax solution. I don't think we will fit it for Easter, but I am sure there will be other occasions. Thanks for the link too!

Unknown said...

We did this during the last winter Olympics by making the Olympic Rings out of pip cleaners. I also noted that "Almost Unschoolers" did this with pipe cleaner Snowflakes...

It is so WONDERFUL when you come across an activity that has SO many different uses!

Kylie said...

oh these are cool and simple enough too! Thanks for sharing this one :-)

Deborah Stewart said...

Now you got me wanting to try this for sure! I have just bought a big box of Borax last week but haven't used it yet!

Debbie said...

I love this, I would never have thought of using Easter shapes for this. I have seen it done at Leah's using snowflakes, but I have to say I love this idea just as well.

Kelly said...

Wow! These look fun. We'll have to try them sometime.
http://littlewondersdays.blogspot.com/

Susana said...

Oh, this is awesome! I've never done the Borax crystals, but I have some downstairs. We may do this next week. I have yet to do a single Easter craft:(.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Wow! I seriously need to get some Borax! These are so pretty! Makes you smile!

Kerri

Jenny said...

How fun! Abby would love doing this.

MaryAnne said...

What a cool idea!

Tammy said...

I'm so glad you tried making easter crystals too! I love mine hanging in the kitchen window. www.housingaforest.com