Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Garden


My Garden by Kevin Henkes begins with a young girl helping her mother in the garden.  She waters, weeds, and chases away rabbits.  Then she imagines her very own garden where she will grow chocolate rabbits, tomatoes as big as beach balls, jelly bean bushes, and flowers that change color.  This book is simply delightful.

C and R imagined and drew their own gardens:


R's garden grows happy carrots, a flower that shoots petals and grows polka dots, and a dinosaur wearing a cherry dress.  The blue squiggles at the top are birds.



C's garden was inspired by his current obsession with the game Plants vs. Zombies.  I knew before we began that he would be inspired by the game.  He looks forward to the weekend when he can play for a little while, and during the week he makes up his own games that stem from Plants vs. Zombies.  In his drawing, you can see sunflowers, a "chomper", a corn stalk, a walnut growing, cherries, pea shooters, and a hill with a watermelon patch.  The red door leads to a house where the gardeners live, and you can see a little red lawnmower in the lower left corner.  Luckily, there are no zombies in this garden because they gave up when they saw the plants.


So, if you had an imaginary garden, what would you grow?  I'm quite certain that my garden is going to grow waffle cones of cranberry bog ice cream (cranberry ice cream with walnuts and chocolate chips) - I LOVE this local treat!

13 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I love their garden drawings! If Emma had an imaginary garden, it would grow donuts and candy canes, based on her imaginings on our road trip!

Ellen said...

I'm reading this book with my Daisy Troop! Last week we read it to introduce the idea that we're going to plant a garden and to start thinking about what to put in it. This week we're talking about how we are all individuals and I have a giant tomato cut out and a giant carrot cut out to put all the things we like and don't like on them. Couple of my girls loved the idea of planting sea shells! Thinking about doing fairy gardens with them so they can plant sea shells :)

Anonymous said...

Cute!! I like the sound of your graden :-)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I planted a "tea" garden in our yard, with strawberries, raspberries, mint, and pansies. This year I'd like to add cucumbers for the sandwiches. That's my nod to the fantastic gardens I imagined in my own childhood :)

Joyful Learner said...

For K, it would be chocolate chessboards! Or chocolate anything for that matter! Beautiful garden pictures!

Chelsea said...

This is one of our favourite books too. It's so perfect.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love their imaginations. I am sure that Anna's garden would have lots of chocolate and probably toys growing from the trees. We loved that book!

Amanda said...

This is one of our FAVORITE books! Maddie borrows it from the library at least once a month!

Susana said...

I LOVE their pictures and this book is one of my favorites!

Oh, my garden would be all chocolate, hands down!

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

I have never read this book, but I love how you read it at the beginning of Spring. I think I'll read it to Miss Sassy just before we plant our garden. Thanks for the idea!

Sherri said...

That art work is precious! You have adorable kids!

Phyllis said...

Katie and Alex just started their garden for this year. I wasn't sure whether she was going to put in one this year,but she did.

Debbie said...

I love their gardens. I don't know for sure what Selena's garden would have in it, but I bet there would be peanut butter.