Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mixing Colors


R has known about primary colors and mixing them to create new colors for quite a while now, but we still enjoy the process.  Enjoy is an understatement for R; she loves to mix paint colors!

This week we read White Rabbit's Color Book by Alan Baker.  It is a cute book for preschool age children.  White Rabbit happens upon three big tubs of paint (red, yellow, and blue) and you can just imagine what happens next.  The book reminds me of Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh - one of our favorite books!

After reading this book, I couldn't resist doing some color mixing.  I made three copies of White Rabbit on white card stock and R mixed paint on each copy to retell the story.



If you know R, then you know that she could not resist getting her hands in the paint.



We now have an orange rabbit, a purple rabbit, and a brown rabbit; you will have to read the book to find out why the last one is brown!!!

I am linking this to stArt (story + art = a great start) at A Mommy's Adventures.  Head on over there to find more fun book projects!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun activity! I think Sammy would love this!! Mixing the paint with his fingers and all :-)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I was wondering about a brown rabbit looking at the result. I guess I need to find a book to find out.

Last Minute Mel said...

How fun, I just found your blog and love your clever ideas :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

R really likes to finger paint - she'd be right at home here :)

Sherri said...

That is super fun...kids love to mix..and then even learn! =)

Brimful Curiosities said...

You know, we've never read this book. Easter would be a good time to search for it. Love the color mixing/finger painting craft.

Ticia said...

How cute! We don't do the finger painting so much as the painting my fingers.....

Rebecca said...

Awww, this is so cute!

Kelly said...

I have to find this book! It looks so cute and I love how R made her rabbits.
http://littlewondersdays.blogspot.com

Susana said...

I have GOT to do this with Jack! Thank you! I know our library has this book, we had it last year.

Did you make the copy of White Rabbit from the book itself on your printer?

Elle Belles Bows said...

Fantastic! I just reserved this book at the library. Thanks for your book suggestions!

Kerri

Michelle said...

This is so cute, I will have to see if our library has this book.

Thank you for linking up to stART!