Monday, June 13, 2011

Cookbooks for Kids - Part Five


We have decided to work our way through some cookbooks for kids.  There are really no rules, except that we will choose cookbooks written with children in mind and make at least one recipe from each cookbook.  This is just for fun, and to give us an excuse to work together in the kitchen. 

The fifth cookbook we chose for review is Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook by Georgeanne Brennan.  (Thank you to Child Central Station for recommending this one!)  All of the recipes in this cookbook were inspired by Dr. Seuss and they have funny Seussian names.  There are forty-two recipes and the table of contents is divided into breakfast, beverages, lunch, snacks, dinner, and desserts.  Before each recipe, there is some text from the Dr. Seuss book that inspired the recipe.  The cookbook is also full of Dr. Seuss artwork. 

I like that there are a lot of healthy recipes and that each recipe has something that the kids can do to help prepare the food.  Some of the recipes have pictures, but most do not.  Because C and R are 6 and 5, I prefer cookbooks with pictures so they can look through the book and pick something that looks good to them, but we still like this cookbook.


The first recipe we tried is "Pink Yink Ink Drink" inspired by the book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.  This drink has a layer of pureed blackberries topped with blended strawberries, milk, and honey.  My rule is that everyone has to try the food or drink.  C took the obligatory one sip and declared it terrible (I knew he would, but I'm happy he tried it).  R and I liked it.

While C was at school another day, R decided she wanted to make something all by herself from a cookbook.

Luckily, we found the "recipe" for "Brown Bar-ba-loots' Truffula Fruits" inspired by the book The Lorax.  I'm not so sure you can really call this a recipe since it just involves dipping strawberries in strawberry yogurt, but R was thrilled to make herself a snack from a cookbook without any help from me.


Our final recipe (for now anyway) from this cookbook is "Valley of Vung's Chocolate Rocks" inspired by the book I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew.   This is a very easy recipe (chocolate, heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and cocoa powder) and the kids were able to do everything except heat the cream.  They really enjoyed forming the chocolate into rocks and rolling the rocks in the cocoa/sugar mixture.





Believe it or not, they thought the rocks were too sweet and didn't eat them!!!  R doesn't really like sweets so I knew she wouldn't care for them, but C has a sweet tooth. 

We had a lot of fun with this cookbook!  I recommend checking it out. 
To read all of our cookbook reviews, click here.

9 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We like cookbooks with pictures, too. Thanks for providing a few for this one :)

Sherri said...

This is such a fun idea! I love all the fun creations! Do the kids eat better, when they make it?

Ticia said...

That looks like a keeper. I'll have to see if the library has it

Creatively Content said...

This is a clever idea. thank you for giving this fun resource.

MaryAnne said...

That does sound like a neat cookbook! I'm with you on the pictures in cookbooks for kids, though.

Jen said...

cool cookbook- looks like a whole lot of messy fun! :)

Jenny said...

I still can't believe R doesn't have a sweet tooth. I think all of mine are sweet teeth! LOL!

I hate when I'm at the library looking at cookbooks and they don't have pics. I want to see what it's supposed to look like!

Susana said...

This is my favorite cookbook y'all have tried so far.

I have to say this, I know Joe would change the 'loots' in that recipe title to 'toots'--LOL! He is such a potty mouth lately!

Those chocolate rocks look fun, and I would like them.

Bless R's heart--she looks so sweet with her strawberries.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This cookbook sounds good. I love reading about your cooking experiences.