Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Frozen Water Balloon Art

Yesterday, C and R had fun doing another activity from our Summer Bucket List - they had a water balloon fight!  They thought it was funny to do this while running through the sprinkler!



I have to admit that I threw a few balloons myself, but T had the best shot.  He was leaving to walk the dog and took a water balloon to throw at me.  He got me pretty good.  I guess he doesn't mind throwing water balloons at a pregnant lady!  Well, C and R certainly didn't hold back either.

Anyway, I grabbed four of the balloons and added a different color food coloring to each one.  I added a few drops of food coloring (it was a bit tricky getting the food coloring in the balloons, but I managed) and then filled the balloons with water.  I stuck them in the freezer overnight.



This morning, I removed the balloons from the colorful spheres of ice and let C and R create some art (another activity from the Summer Bucket List).


First, we placed paper in the bottom of a box and dropped the frozen spheres on top.  C and R worked together to shake the box and move the colorful ice around the paper to create designs.


They did this for a while and made two works of art.  The result was a speckled design, and it looks much prettier than the above picture.


Then, we put the colorful ice in a bucket.  C and R dipped paint brushes into the colored water that had melted and also rubbed the brushes across the colored ice to paint on blank cards.  The result is similar to watercolors.


All of the art will be turned into thank you cards for gifts that C and R received recently.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a FUN way to keep cool and be creative! I am TOTALLY "pinning" this idea...

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Great pictures of the balloons in the air!!! We have a water balloon fight on the 4th. This year, I'm hoping the temp is going to rise a few degrees before then.

MaryAnne said...

I love all the different ways you came up with to use the water balloons! My kids need to be introduced to water balloons this summer!

Anonymous said...

oo love that you got in on the water balloon action!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How awesome! I am looking forward to an upcoming balloon toss for 4th of July party :)

April said...

Looks like a lot of fun!!!

Ticia said...

We turn art into cards and wrapping paper too. Much better use than recycling or throwing away.....

Sarah Slaven said...

Your making me miss Summer

Sherri said...

This is the best "cool off" activity!

Kelly said...

It looks like a fun time. I can't resist joining the fight either. Nice art project too.
Little Wonders' Days

Susana said...

This is so fun, Christy! Cute pics of the kids in the sprinkler too. And, that is a cool looking sprinkler!