Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spray Chalk

R is done with preschool, but her brothers still have a few weeks of school before summer vacation.  This means that she often asks me to entertain her.  This isn't always possible, so I try to find something that will keep her busy for a little while while I clean or cook.

Spray chalk kept R occupied for a while.  To make it, I mixed:
  • 4 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1 cup warm water
  • food coloring to get the desired color (I mixed red and blue to get a purplish pink)

Once it was mixed, I poured it into a spray bottle and let R get to work creating art on the driveway.


Because our driveway is dark, it doesn't show up that great (unless you use A LOT like R did) until it dries, but with the abnormally hot temperatures we have had this week, the chalk was dry in a matter of minutes.  This is how the spray chalk looks when it dries:


I think we will take a few bottles of spray chalk to the beach to paint the sand this summer. 

*This idea came from The Ultimate Book of Kid Concoctions by John E. Thomas and Danita Pagel

15 comments:

Kelly said...

That looks like fun! Thanks for the recipe. Hope all is well your way.
Little Wonders' Days

Anonymous said...

ohh what fun! I have this book and have it on my plan for summer to do some of the concoctions!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Do you think it would stain clothes? Looks like it would be fun to paint on the driveway, too with a brush.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We put some of that stuff into water balloons last summer, to splat on the driveway - that was fun, too.

What do you think of the book? We thought the ideas were great, but too many of the recipes didn't quite work.

Ticia said...

I think we might do something similar today.......

Jen said...

My oldest tried to make colored bubbles with food coloring. Let's just say it turned out to be quite a mess!

Sherri said...

We absolutely love that book and all the concoctions that come with it! I am in love with sidewalk art..my kids seem to like it too! =) I seriously find myself drawing with chalk quite often...and then the kids will join in! =)

Michelle said...

I have been meaning to try this...I think the girls would really enjoy it. The spray bottle makes it even cooler than regular side walk paint!

Jennifer said...

Ooohhh....I like the idea of taking this to the beach!!! Thanks for sharing -- as always!

Unknown said...

What great fun! We will be doing this activity this summer.

What I Did Today said...

I know a lot of little kids who would looooove this! Though, their mamas might not be too pleased if they get it on their clothes. Hehehehe.

Unknown said...

That looks like something my kiddos would love. Thanks for sharing!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Does this stuff washes off easily? Lars is a bit paranoid about having a painted driveway :) R looks like she is having a lot of fun!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Looks fun!!

GREAT idea to take it to the beach!

Happy Summer!

Kerri

Susana said...

This would be lots of fun! Thanks for sharing the recipe and the book. Hope my library has it.