Saturday, June 4, 2011

Favorite Books of the Week


Even though C and R did not like the original Madlenka book, they love the other two books about Madlenka.  This week we read Madlenka's Dog by Peter Sis.  In this book, Madlenka wants a dog, but her parents say no, so she uses her imagination.  Madlenka's friends from the neighborhood join in on the imaginary fun, and we get to see the type of dog that each friend imagines.  The cool thing about this is that each person imagines a dog that is native to his or her home country and we get to see them by lifting flaps.  This is a wonderful book!


C and I finished reading The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.  This book is about a mouse named Despereaux who is different - his ears are large, he is weak, he loves to read, and he is in love with a princess (of the human variety).  In addition to the story of the mouse, we also have the story of the princess, the story of a rat, and the story of a servant girl.  All four stories intertwine to create a fairy tale filled with love, hope, and forgiveness.  C really enjoyed the book.  I wasn't sure that I liked it, but after reading it, I like it more than I did while reading - does that make sense?  We are going to watch the movie tonight.  Have you read the book or seen the movie, what are your thoughts?

We have read a lot of other books this week, but I'm tired so I'm ending this post!

Check out all of the great reads at What My Child is Reading hosted by Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

 

5 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

That was exactly how I felt about the movie.

Kelly said...

We enjoyed both the book and the movie. Although, no one requests to see it again... Hope you get some rest!

ps- I'd love it if you would link you spray chalk post up to the summertime fun party on my blog. I think it's such a fun project.
Little Wonders' Days

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have to look for other Madlenka stories. I was considering reading Desperaux, but we have not seen a movie. Thanks for the review and joining WMCIR!

Ticia said...

I read the nook but heard bad things about thenmovie

Susana said...

Tale of Desperaux has been on my list of read alouds with Joe for a while.

How was the movie?