Saturday, June 11, 2011

Favorite Books of the Week


Have you seen the series Ms. Frizzle's Adventures?  I thought it was a new series because I hadn't heard of it, but according to the copyright in the book we read, it was published in 2003, so somehow I have been in the dark with this one.  The series is devoted to historical topics.  C and I read Ms. Frizzle's Adventures Medieval Castle this week and he LOVED it.  He and I took turns reading pages (he loves to do that); the book is right at his reading level with a few challenging words here and there.  Ms. Frizzle and her student explore a twelfth-century castle from its bailey to its towers, meet lords and ladies, knights and peasants, and learn about life within the castle walls.  I loved it when C read that England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales had the most castles and then he remembered that his big brother, T, will be traveling to all of those places this summer.

R's favorite book this week is Purple Little Bird by Greg Foley.  Purple Little Bird lives in a purple little house with a purple little garden, but somehow there is something wrong with his purple little world.  He sets out to find the perfect place and discovers that it was right in front of him.  This is a cute book with a great lesson.

We are in the middle of dance recital weekend, so that is all I have for now.  For more great reads, check out What My Child is Reading hosted by Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.
 

9 comments:

Sherri said...

I love your book reviews!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

There aren't as many in The Magic School Bus history series as I would like - I wish they'd make it into an animated series, too - and then continue on with their science episodes, as well - there's just nothing like them.

Susana said...

I've already requested the Ms. Frizzle books our library has, but now I am going to see about Purple, Little Bird too. I think Jack would enjoy it.

I always like the fact that you post so many books throughout each month! Very helpful!

momandkiddo said...

Ms. Frizzle is the teacher in the Magic School Bus series. We also have that same book, but I must admit I have no idea how we acquired it!

Ticia said...

Purple Little Bird looks so cute! I'm eagerly looking forward to reading Ms. Frizzle's Adventures with my kids.

Jennifer said...

I always love coming to see what you've been reading! I get the BEST recommendations from you!!

Hope the recital went well!

Kelly said...

I need to find Purple Little Bird. My Juiciness loves all things purple!
Little Wonders' Days

MaryAnne said...

Both of these sound great. I hope the dance recital goes (went?) well!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We had Purple Little Bird last week too, but I didn't get to read it. The first book looks very interesting. We read another Ms Frizzle book about Egypt from the same series, but there were some scary moments that she didn't like.