Saturday, June 25, 2011

Favorite Books of the Week


Our first pick of the week is Press Here by Herve Tullet.  This book has been mentioned by quite a few bloggers recently, and I definitely understand why.  It's interactive, fun, simple, and engaging.  I thought C might be too old for the book, but he loves it just as much as R.  We like this book so much that we bought it as a gift for a three year old friend of ours that is having a birthday party today.


C and I read Full House, An Invitation to Fractions by Dayle Ann Dodds.  Miss Bloom runs the Strawberry Inn and over the course of a day, she fills all six rooms with interesting characters.  As each character settles in, the reader can see what fraction of the rooms is full.  This is a simple introduction to fractions and only addresses sixths.  The story is entertaining, and the reinforcement of parts of a whole is well done.

R cannot get enough of Huggly Takes a Bath by Tedd Arnold.  She thinks this book is extremely funny, and she wants me to read it to her constantly.  It is a silly story about a monster who lives under a child's bed (this fact is not really emphasized, but it is obvious) and comes out to explore the bathroom.

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein was also very popular this week.  It's bedtime for the little red chicken, and Papa is trying to read her a story.  The little chicken cannot help interrupting the story to save the characters from the danger she knows is coming.  This means that the little chicken gets very worked up instead of winding down for sleep.  C and R both thought this book was very funny!

Our final selection this week is Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, The Mount Rushmore Calamity created by Jeff Brown, written by Sara Pennypacker.  C has been a fan of Flat Stanley since we participated in a Flat Stanley exchange (I think that was two years ago).  We reread this book because we were studying South Dakota.  Stanley and his brother, Arthur, team up with a cowgirl named Calamity Jasper for a wild adventure during a trip to see Mount Rushmore.

For more great reads, head over to What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I will need to see if our library has these. They all look great.

Susan said...

Nice selection of books :)
"Full House" looks cute, and I have read about "Interrupting Chicken" in so many places, but I haven't read it yet!
My girls like the Flat Stanley stories.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

D just discovered Flat Stanley, this summer. He loves the series!

Ticia said...

I really need to get interrupting chicken

MaryAnne said...

I plan to give Press Here for a few birthday gifts!

I think "Huggly Takes a Bath" would be a hit at our house!

Jen said...

Looks like some great finds! My girls have been reading a lot of different chapt. books as we travel in the car. For our read alouds, this week included a Cam Jansen Mystery,Duck on a Bike, and Horton Hears a Who. Happy Reading!

Jen

momandkiddo said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Press Here (and so do my kids!).

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great list. I am intrigued by Press Here since I keep seeing these glowing reviews on many blogs. We read Interrupting Chicken by making it into a play and reading it together. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Susana said...

I'm going to have to check out that Press Here book. I've seen it around on lots of blogs and I'm very curious!