Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cookbooks for Kids - Part Six


We have decided to work our way through some cookbooks for kids.  There are really no rules, except that we will choose cookbooks written with children in mind and make at least one recipe from each cookbook.  This is just for fun, and to give us an excuse to work together in the kitchen.   To read all of our cookbook reviews, click here.

The sixth cookbook we chose is My Little House Cookbook with recipes by Amy Cotler.  This cookbook features recipes mentioned in the My First Little House Books adapted from The Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  There are eleven recipes with illustrations of the cooking process and the final product.  Frontier food was pretty simple, and so are the recipes in this book - homemade butter, strawberry jam, and buttermilk cornbread are just a few.  The strangest recipe in this book is popcorn and milk - you are supposed to fill a glass of milk with popped popcorn, eat the popcorn, and then drink the milk.  Does anyone really do this?

The recipe we chose is "Laura's Little Maple Cakes".  They are mini maple cupcakes dipped in maple icing.  R and I made the cupcakes while C was in school (yes, school is still in session here) and when C came home, they both iced them. 



R thought they were too sweet (she does not have a sweet tooth at all), but the rest of us think they are tasty!  The flavor is similar to eating pancakes with a little maple syrup. 

Normally, I have problems with cookbooks that only have eleven recipes, but in this case, the book features only foods that were mentioned in the My First Little House Books series so I understand why there aren't more recipes.  If you are simply interested in trying out a few of the recipes, borrow this one from the library.  If you love all things Little House, then you might want to own this book for collection purposes rather than as a regular kitchen tool.

12 comments:

Ticia said...

Now I really want to look through my box of packed away books to find that cookbook, which I hopefully still have because that would be popular here.......

Annette W. said...

Derek's grandpa puts bread in milk...daily. It's a treat for him I think...though possible origins from the Depression? I don't know if it's similar or not to the popcorn.

Your muffins look good!

I am in the midst of lots of Little House! I'm reading Little House Traveler...and found two of the Rose books in my basement!

Jen said...

That's pretty cool how the cook books go along with the literature.

Jen

Jenny said...

The popcorn in milk thing makes me want to barf. YUCK!

The little cakes look good though.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Popcorn in milk? I remember reading that bit in Little House, but I believe it was not popcorn but some sort of soft corn that Ma made. Maple pancakes sound yummy!

Kelly said...

I think this is such a fun series you're doing. These maple cakes look great. I bet R is enjoying some mom time!
Little Wonders' Days

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

My dad would pour milk over cake - kind of an I wish I had ice cream, thing. But, popcorn and milk? I think I could pass on that one.

Sherri said...

School is still in session? wow! When do they start? I love that you are doing this cookbook testing with your kids! I have planned on doing some kind of children's cooking, and I never seem to get to it! Hopefully I follow in your footsteps soon! =)

momandkiddo said...

Mmmm. I love anything maple.

MaryAnne said...

We JUST finished school! So many snow days this year!!!

This cookbook sounds great, and I think my family had it growing up. I should ask my mom if it's still around...

Susana said...

You know I LOVE Little House!!

Well, I'm not eating popcorn and milk--that's weird, but...the maple cakes look and sound very good!

I think I have a big enough sweet tooth for myself and R--LOL!

Susan said...

I have another cookbook suggestion for you that I keep forgetting to mention. Have you heard of "Fairy Tale Feasts" by Jane Yolen? I first read about it in this post by Edventures in Edmonton:
http://edventuresedm.blogspot.com/2011/05/fairy-tale-feasts-literary-cookbook-by.html
We are enjoying it at our house :)