Tuesday, June 14, 2011

R's Dance Recital


R danced in her second recital this weekend.  It was amazing!  I am so happy that I didn't listen to the people who recommended just signing her up for dance at the Y or looking for the cheapest dance classes I could find.  The studio R dances with actually teaches her how to dance (well, the studio doesn't teach her to dance, the teachers do); it's more than just making the kids look cute on stage.  I have spent the last two years praising the dance studio because our experience there has been so wonderful.  She may only be five, but R has learned a lot from her dance teachers in the last two years and I know that she will continue to learn and grow there.  I couldn't be happier.  Watching the older girls dance and knowing that they have won national competitions and have been asked to join the national dance team is definitely exciting and encouraging.  I have no idea how far R will go with dance, but right now she LOVES it and it is worth it to me to get her the right training from the beginning.  We are also lucky to have a wonderful class.  The students all get along and so do the parents! 

Here are some photos from the weekend:
This is a picture I purchased and the only picture I have of her on stage.  The class performed a jazz routine to "Stayin' Alive".  The audience went wild for this dance routine.  It was groovy!

I think this costume is adorable.  This was for a tap routine to the song "Surfin' Safari".  Doesn't the bathing cap just make the costume?  There is one boy in R's dance class, and he was dressed as a lifeguard!  Super cute.

 This costume was for a ballet routine to the song "A Whole New World" from the movie "Aladdin". 


This is what all of the dancers wore for the opening and the finale.  The opening song was "I Gotta Feeling (That Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night)" and the finale song was "Don't Stop Believing".
T and C were both so proud of R!

We are all very proud of R!!!!!!!  She worked so hard and did a wonderful job!!!!!!!

9 comments:

MaryAnne said...

This sounds like a great program! I paid extra for a gymnastics program where the teachers had a reputation for being able to work well with shy kids, and it's been well worth the money! We went from having neither Emma or Johnny wanting to go in, even together to both Emma and Johnny participating enthusiastically and making friends in separate groups!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

So nice to feel like it's a rewarding experience. Dance didn't turn out to be for us - as the girls got older, the costumes looked less and less adorable - but the performances were always fun. It's wonderful that you've found a really good teaching studio - that's worth quite a bit. The pictures on this post are fantastic!

Miller Moments said...

She's adorable! And I love all of her costumes. So glad that she (and you) had a positive experience.

Joyful Learner said...

Sounds like so much fun! It's wonderful when you find the right fit for your child. Lovely costumes!

Jenny said...

That is so awesome! The costumes are so cute!

Congrats to R!

Ticia said...

She looks adorable! I'll look for her tryout video in 13 years for "So You Think You Can Dance....." :)

Sherri said...

Her costumes are amazing! I have to agree...you get what you pay for1 =) It looks like you made a great decision! I wish we had a good dance studio in our little town...we have tried a couple...but they just did not learn much!

Susana said...

R looks adorable in each of her costumes. I LOVE the one for Surfin' Safari. It is my favorite--it's that flowered cap that does it for me.

It's wonderful that she is enjoying it so much! I hope she sticks with it. I had dreams of Hanna dancing and so wish they would have happened! Happy for you that R is doing this and loving it. Super that you signed her up for a real dance school too. Hanna is very into art, and I have taken that route with her art classes and every penny has been worth it!

Such a sweet picture of all 3 kids!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I think that the most important part is that R loves dancing. We tried dance too and ended up with Anna refusing to go because she was intimidated by some boys in the class. I think the sign of a good program is that children enjoy what they are doing and working hard to improve. The costumes are adorable, and it's awesome that you found such a great dance class for her.