Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cookbooks for Kids - Part Four


We have decided to work our way through some cookbooks for kids.  There are really no rules, except that we will choose cookbooks written with children in mind and make at least one recipe from each cookbook.  This is just for fun, and to give us an excuse to work together in the kitchen.

Our fourth cookbook for review in this series is Pink Princess Cookbook by Barbara Beery.  Beery is also the author of the Mermaid cookbook we reviewed in an earlier post.  This cookbook has thirty recipes in five different categories - "Perfect Princess Cakes and Cookies," "Magical Princess Finger Foods," "Fairy Princess Breads," "Sweetest Princess Treats," and "Sparkling Princess Drinks".  The recipes have names that are very appealing to young girls; is there a little girl who would not like an "Enchanted Unicorn Horn" or "Magic Princess Wands"?  The pictures are great and the recipes are easy to follow.


The first recipe we tried from this cookbook is "Little Ladybugs".  I have seen this recipe all over the internet, so it isn't really unique, but I think it works well with the princess theme.  I also love the fact that I could show R and C how to make one, and then they were able to make a few of their own without any assistance.


We also made "Bitsy Banana Bread Bites".  They were pretty good, but I think our regular banana muffin recipe is better.


We will definitely use this cookbook again.  To read all of our cookbook reviews, click here.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo very cute!! The lady bugs look delicious!

Annette W. said...

The ladybugs are clever! Isn't it true that we often prefer our own recipes? :)

Jennifer said...

This is a GREAT idea!! I just picked up a kid's cookbook from the library, but I think I have the one you're mentioning too!

Jen said...

Mmm. I think we are going to have to have some ladybugs in our kitchen real soon! Very cute! We have a couple of cookbooks that I need to do with the kids. (I always forget that we have them.)

Jen

Ticia said...

That one does sound wonderful!

Miller Moments said...

Your lady bugs are adorable!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm loving this series! I have seen the ladybugs before, but I wouldn't have thought to connect them to a princess theme - fun!

Kelly said...

Fun and cute! I like this author's cookbooks series, but I wish she would do one for boys...maybe pirate food or dinosaurs or something fun.
Little Wonders' Days

MaryAnne said...

30 recipes is more like it for a kids' cookbook!

The ladybugs are adorable. I'll have to remember those for a birthday party sometime...

Brimful Curiosities said...

Good to know that princesses cook! What yummy looking treats.

Polka said...

My first time here :)
just wanna tell you that you have a Lovely blog :)

best
polka

Sherri said...

We have all their books! They are full of foods the kids will actually eat! We love picnics...and tea parties...and snacking...okay we love food! =D

momandkiddo said...

I've enjoyed your cookbook series. it's not a cookbook per se but you might enjoy "cook-a-doodle-do." And also Fannie in the Kitchen, which tells the story of the 1st cookbook!

Susana said...

I LOVE these posts this week!! You are really inspiring me to get some of these books and get the kids in the kitchen more. Hanna cooks/bakes on her own now, but I would love to involve Joe and Jack more. Thank you! Y'all have made some super cool stuff this week.