Monday, December 12, 2011

Fingerprint Ornament


This is officially K's first craft project.  Her little fingerprint is the purple light bulb!  Honestly, she was not happy to have her finger pressed into the dough, but I'm happy to have it there.

This ornament was made using salt dough.  I used a Christmas tree cookie cutter to cut the shape out of the dough and then had each of the kids make a fingerprint on the tree (T is blue, C is red, R is pink, and K is purple).  I baked the ornament at 250 degrees for about two hours.  Once it cooled, I painted it, used a black Sharpie to add the string for the lights and the year, and covered it in Mod Podge.  I didn't make a hole in the ornament, so I just super glued a loop of ribbon on the back.

This is a modified version of an ornament I saw on Pinterest.

6 comments:

Ticia said...

It's so cute! Good job K! :)

MaryAnne said...

What a cute idea! Love K's tiny fingerprint =)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a nice idea. Poor K probably couldn't understand the purpose of this at all, but oh, how it's going to change next year already :)

Sherri said...

I love all your adorable ornaments!
I really should try salt dough!
BTW...your Christmas card is awesome!!! You have a beautiful family!

Jenny said...

Good idea! Did your salt dough hurt your hands? We did it last year or the year before and it burned my hands so bad!

I just love those fingerprints!

Susana said...

Yours turned out so sweet! You did a great job on it. I know you are happy to have it.

I have this pinned and am hoping to get to it next week. I've never had good luck with salt dough though, what recipe do you use?

Thanks for posting how you did this.