Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Snowman Fun

C's snowman art

R's snowman art


The snowman ornaments were made with salt dough.  I cut the circles out of the dough with a biscuit cutter and then attached a carrot shaped piece of salt dough on top.  I used a straw to make the holes and baked them at 250 degrees for two hours.



Once they were hard and cool, C and R used white and orange paint on them and added the eyes and mouths with Sharpies.  They finished them with a coat of Mod Podge and a ribbon.



We read Snowmen at Christmas by Caralyn Buehner, a great book about how snowmen celebrate Christmas.  This is a companion to the best selling book,Snowmen at Night, and it is just as wonderful.  C and R love the little snow children and snow dogs, and little details like the snowman crossing sign on one page.  The illustrations are beautiful too.






I made snowman cocoa for C (R still doesn't like marshmallows - ugh, marshmallows are so easy to transform into cute things!).  I topped C's cocoa with whipped cream and then added some large marshmallows that I decorated with food coloring markers.  Super cute, right?


Make your own snowman snack:
Pretzel sticks, raisins, mini chocolate chips, and banana slices





The carrot nose is orange icing.


*The snowman art is a variation of a project from Mrs. Jackson's Art Room.  

9 comments:

Ticia said...

I love that snowman art and your snowman hot chocolate. I need to get some more marshmallows for hot chocolate, we finished ours all off.

MaryAnne said...

Mike made the kids banana snowmen like yours Sunday night!

We have a copy of Snowmen at Christmas that we love - and their snowman ornaments are so cute!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Make your own snowman snack is so cool and so-o-o simple. I'll definitely try to offer it here. Great salt ornaments too!

Sherri said...

I love the snowman fun!
I smiled the whole way through!!!

Kelly said...

Cute, cute, cute. I love their paintings and ornaments. Their snack looks great too!
Little Wonders' Days

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Great paintings! I'm adding the snowman hot chocolate to my must-do-this-winter list - the kids will love it!

Jenny said...

We love those Snowmen books! Cute snowman crafts and snacks!

Anonymous said...

Love the snowman marshmallows! The salt dough ornaments are my favorite though!!

Susana said...

This is fun! The snowman art and the ornaments both look fabulous! The snacks are very cute too.

We did snowman night with this same book Tuesday. I love these kinds of themed activities. They make for some special memories. We are so lucky to be able to do these things with our children.