Friday, July 27, 2012

Volcanoes

We used up all of our play dough to turn an empty plastic drink bottle into a volcano.  Once the bottle was covered, we put 3TBSP of baking soda in the bottle, added a lot of red food coloring, and then slowly poured in 1 cup of vinegar to create an eruption.  We have done this so many times and for some reason, it never gets old.







To extend the volcano fun, I made volcano cakes for Collin and Reagan.  The inspiration for the volcano mug cakes came from Almost Unschoolers.  I followed the Duncan Hines 3-2-1 cake recipe, let the cakes cool, froze them for a few minutes to make them easier to frost, and then frosted them with chocolate frosting.  I used red frosting to make the lava and topped the volcanoes with cinnamon decorating candies.

Collin and Reagan can make this cake by themselves!



Surprisingly, Reagan ate it.  Maybe she found her sweet tooth.

This has been the week of the tee-shirt.  Earlier this week, Reagan unintentionally wore the same shirt to go blueberry picking that she had worn last time we went.  Today, Collin wore an Audubon Society tee shirt for the volcano experiment and when I looked back at pictures from our last volcano, he was wearing the same shirt!

Here is the old picture:
                                               
How funny!

When Collin and Reagan were making the volcano, I was thinking about people that get crazy about keeping the colors separate.  In my opinion, let the kids play and if they want to mix colors, who cares?  You take all the fun out of play dough if you attach all kinds of rules to it.  Kids want to mix colors!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! Is it sad we have never done this experiment?? Maybe we will need to do this soon!

MaryAnne said...

I love their colorful volcano!

And how funny with the t-shirts!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I love - LOVE - your cakes. They turned out soooo cute!

Ticia said...

We mix colors too. I gave up on that one a long time ago. The play-doh usually goes bad before it gets too mixed together because they leave it out.

Jenny said...

Guilty! I have said not to mix colors before, but I did realize that is no fun. LOL! I just hate how everything is ugly and brown then.

What a cool volcano! Funny about the shirts.