Sunday, November 11, 2012

Around the World Names

A conversation with Reagan:

R:  I don't like my name
Me:  What?  You have one of the prettiest names in the world!
R:  Collin and I have made up names.
Me:  What are you talking about?  Your names aren't made up.  There are many people named Collin and I know people named Reagan.  Plus, your name was on a baby blanket on the cover of Pottery Barn Kids a while ago.  We definitely did not make them up.  There was a girl named Reagan that played field hockey with you this summer.
R:  She wore shin guards.
Me:  Of course, so did you, or you would get bruised shins from the sticks.
R:  Tyler and Katelyn are around the world names.  I want an around the world name.
Me:  I am sure there are people named Collin and Reagan around the world.  If you don't like your name, you can change it when you grow up, but that will make me sad.  I love your name.
R:  I don't have anyone else with R.
Me:  What?
R:  You know, Tom - Tyler, Christy - Collin, Katelyn - Kelly.  No one else in the house has R.
Me:  We had a president with your name.
R:  His name was Ronald.  Reagan is a last name.
Me:  Thomas, Christy, Tyler, Collin, and Kelly are all last names too.  Katelyn is the only one in the house that doesn't have a last name.
R:  Oh, poor Katelyn.

KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

MaryAnne said...

lol. The last line of your post sums it up!

Sherri said...

HaaHaa! That is so funny! I remember when Brooke asked if she could change her name! I told her yes! But she had to wait until she was 18, so that we didn't change it with every growing emotion! She went to school and told all her friends that her mom said she can change her name! I got quite a few calls! :) Luckily she likes her name now!

Ticia said...

I have a lot of conversations like that with Wendy. She feels all alone because she's the only daughter, or the only person with no one else sleeping in her room. And the list goes on and on.

You can tell Reagan that one of Wendy's friends has that same name.

Wendy wants to change her name to Penny, and in every game she pretends she is Penny.

Anonymous said...

lol ooh man she gave you a run for your money! I know 2 other kids personally named Reagan :-) I think it is a very pretty name!!

Jenny said...

ROTF! She is funny. Abby was mad at me a few months ago about her name. She wanted a longer name. Abby wasn't long enough for her liking at the time.