Thursday, November 15, 2012

Veterans Day and Hiding Turkeys

 Reagan had some interesting homework assignments over the weekend.

First, we had to go to the Veterans Memorial Walkway in town and spend some time gathering information.  I remember doing this with Collin when he was in first grade and both times I have thought it was a great project.


Don't mind the outfit - we came right from gymnastics.

 She had to find two quotes by President John F. Kennedy.


Reagan had to use crayon to do a rubbing of a brick and she chose this one.  We couldn't find a brick with the name of anyone we know, so this is just a random selection.
 We did find Great Grandpa's name on the memorial for his service in World War II, so Reagan decided to add a rubbing of his name to her paper.  I was happy to see how proud she was of his service.  Six is really young to understand war and service in the military, so I can't say that she really understood, but she was happy to see his name there.  We have to go back because I didn't even think to look for the name of her Great Grandfather Killoran.

On a much lighter note, Reagan was also given the task of helping a turkey avoid the fate of becoming Thanksgiving dinner by creating a disguise to keep him safe.  Reagan had a similar assignment in Kindergarten when she chose to disguise her turkey as Rapunzel.  This year, she chose a clown costume.

There is definitely no turkey in sight at this circus!

Reagan enjoyed both of these assignments.  I like to see how proud she is of her work and I am thrilled that she takes charge of each assignment with minimal assistance from me or Dad.  She needed a little help with each assignment, but she was happy to do what she could on her own!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tough topic for them to try and understand! I love her disguise for her turkey!

MaryAnne said...

I love her clown turkey!

Sherri said...

I love love love her turkey!
We are going to disguise a turkey this year too...I'm so excited to see what the kiddos come up with!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Reagan's school is great with the assignments that make war and sacrifice real. I don't think our schools here did anything for Veteran's Day, but maybe we missed it due to travel.