Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Plymouth Field Trip

I chaperoned Collin's field trip to Plymouth yesterday.  There were so many chaperones that I was only responsible for Collin and one other boy.  It was cold, but at least it wasn't raining.  We had a great time.

Our first stop was Plymouth Rock.


We were also able to see the replica of the Mayflower, but we did not get to go on board.  I'm hoping to return to Plymouth next summer.


Then we got back on the bus and went to Plimoth Plantation (there is an explanation there as to why it is spelled this way but I don't remember; I should look it up).  

Rather than stay together as a class, each group was able to explore on their own.

We began with the Wampanoag village.  Collin impressed me so much with his knowledge of how a wetu is built.


This particular wetu is called a Nush Wetu.  I think "nush" means three and it references the number of smoke holes in the wetu.  This is the winter home and we were told that it can be as warm as 85 degrees inside because of the way it is built!  We also learned that "wampum" is not money.  Actually, Collin knew this already, but I did not.  Native Americans had no need for money or bartering because they got everything they needed from the land.

This is the inside of the wetu where we learned all that I just mentioned.
Then we went to the English village.  Collin immediately spotted the meetinghouse.  This is a view of the village from the top of the meetinghouse.

This is the top floor of the meetinghouse.  

I didn't take a lot of pictures because I brought my camera but forgot my SD card so all of the pictures are from my cell phone.  

We didn't have a lot of time to interact with the characters, so I am looking forward to going back when we can take our time!

How cool is this turkey made out of hay?  There were kids climbing all over it and through it; this did not sit well with Collin because there was a sign that said, "Do Not Climb" right next to it.

Overall it was a very nice day.  I'm so happy that I was able to go and thankful that Kate was able to stay with Grandma; they had a great day too!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so cool! Collin is just like my nephew, he would have been the same way about the kids climbing on the turkey. Too funny!

MaryAnne said...

Very cool! We have NEVER been to Plymouth, and need to go!

Sherri said...

Wow!!!
That is a great field trip!
I would love to take my kids there! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How awesome to be able to visit Plymouth in time for Thanksgiving. No such luck in CA :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun field trip! Sounds like you guys had a blast!