Friday, August 26, 2011

The Birthday Bin


Every once in a while, I wonder what took me so long to put like things together in a place where I can access them easily when needed.  This week, I put together a birthday bin.  Before now, the items in this bin were spread out across different areas of the house and they were often forgotten.  This certainly isn't one of those genius organizing tips, but it made me happy to get it done.


Our birthday bin contains:

- our cake plate (it's by Lenox and when wound, it plays "Happy Birthday") - I forgot to use it for C's birthday and that inspired this bin!,


- a matching Lenox cake server
- a dessert plate with the words, "Happy Birthday to You" on it for the birthday person to use on his or her birthday (I couldn't find this online, but you can see it in one of the above photos.  I think it is from Home Goods)
- a box of birthday cards; I like to have cards on hand
- a Ziploc bag full of birthday candles
- gift bags and gift wrap
- leftover streamers


Instead of leaving our cake plate in the box it came in, I covered it with the styrofoam packaging and bubble wrap.  I cut up the box and used the decorative pieces to make the bin identifiable.

It's funny how happy this little project made me feel!

8 comments:

MaryAnne said...

This is a great idea!

Jennifer said...

Nesting are we? LOL! Seriously, though - that it a great idea and so simple! Would make my life easier when it comes to hunting for birthday candles that don't have lint fuzz on them!

Debbie said...

I was thinking the same thing, Nesting? This is a wonderful idea, I love it!

Lynn said...

Two people beat me to my comment about nesting! Great idea. :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Nice idea! You must be so totally prepared for a new baby so you have energy to spend on other organizing projects :)

Ticia said...

I completely understand. I feel the same way about things like that.

We just threw a birthday party and I forgot to bring the candles, despite going back to the house for things TWICE!

Kelly said...

Doesn't it feel great to get even little projects done! I bet this one will save you a lot of time too.
Little Wonders' Days

Sherri said...

I have a birthday box...but it holds presents that my kids can give to their friends when invited to a party!
Now this box is brilliant! I need birthday box #2!