Monday, August 1, 2011

Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster Snack


T is currently in Scotland!  One of the adventures his group is going on while they are there is to search the Loch on a sonar equipped boat to look for Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster.  He will also learn about the research undertaken in the past by explorers seeking the monster.

I am trying to give C and R a little taste of what their big brother is doing while he is away, so we read Nessie The Loch Ness Monster by Richard Brassey while eating a Nessie snack.  This is a great book for young children who are interested in the Scottish legend.

For the snack, I cut two chocolate doughnuts in half (one of the halves was cut in half again to make the head and tail) and placed them on a blue cutting board as seen in the above photo.  I figured the blue surface could be the ocean, but I added some blue candies too.  I also stuck green candies on our Nessie (I didn't use anything to stick them on, the chocolate on the doughnuts held them in place).  So, this wasn't a healthy snack, but it was a fun, memorable weekend treat!

C is very upset that some people think Nessie really does exist!

11 comments:

MaryAnne said...

It may not be healthy, but it definitely makes up for it in cuteness! How fun!!!

Anonymous said...

What fun!! We saw a cartoon on Nessie during the previews to Winnie the Pooh! It was super cute!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Maybe T will be the one to find Nessie :)

Sherri said...

this is a great snack! I love how you are keeping the little ones clued in to what is going on with older brother. Your a fantastic mom!
How is your traveler doing?
I hope everything is going well!

Debbie said...

He is almost too cute to eat!

Jenny said...

T is doing all kind of fun stuff!!

I love this snack, it's so cute!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute snack. I am sure T will have a blast in Scotland. How fun!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness. That has to be one of the cutest snacks ever. I think it's great that you are helping C and R learn about things T will be telling them about soon.
Little Wonders' Days

Ticia said...

That is amazingly simple and cute.

Phyllis said...

What a clever idea. I love it!

Jen said...

So stinkin cute! u r amazing- your kiddos are so lucky 2 have u