Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Outdoor "Cooking" by C and R


I recently borrowed the book, Mud Pies and Other Recipes, A Cookbook for Dolls by Marjorie Winslow.

I think the book is absolutely delightful and borrowed it specifically to review for my Cookbooks for Kids series.  The book is full of "recipes" for dolls with all of the ingredients being things found outside.  Any doll would be thrilled with Dandelion Souffle, Wood Chip Dip, or Rainspout Tea.

This really is a sweet book, but I decided not to share it with C and R.  It's ridiculous, but I spent weeks weighing this decision before finally returning the book!  My reason for this is that C and R love (more than anything) to spend time outside creating their own "recipes" and serving them to a pretend rabbit named "Herbie".  While they might enjoy this book, I kind of felt like it would change the way they already play, and that it might take away some of the joy they find in this type of play.  So, I decided to leave well enough alone!

Here is a picture of C and R preparing food for Herbie's birthday party last week:


9 comments:

Kelly said...

They do look like the are great outdoor chefs. Maybe they could write their own recipes!
Little Wonders' Days

MaryAnne said...

Looks like they are expert outdoor chefs without the book!

Debbie said...

It is always so fun to cook outdoors. I think their little creations look great!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I think you made the right decision. No need to fix what's already working so amazingly well. Herbie is one well fed pretend rabbit :)

Ticia said...

My kids do the same thing. It look like Herbie had a wonderful birthday party.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

That's funny, I checked that out earlier this summer, and returned it, for pretty much the same reason. The day I brought it home, I found the children in the backyard, making grass soup and mud pies decorated with flowers, and rocks. That sort of play seems to come very naturally.

Jenny said...

You have a good point. They look like they already know how to "cook" outside!

Susana said...

I think it's very sweet the way they play. I would not have given them the book either :-).

Sherri said...

Outdoor cooking has to be the best...even though my kids eat it! And they love eating it! =0