Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ice Cream Ball


C got an ice cream ball (actually called the Play and Freeze Ice Cream Maker) from some friends for his birthday.  We got to try it out recently, and we all agreed that it is a pretty cool way to make ice cream.

The ball has two openings - one that you fill with ice and rock salt, and the other (a metal cylinder) that you fill with your ice cream ingredients.  We used one of the recipes in the instruction booklet to make peanut butter cup ice cream.

Once the ingredients were in the ball and it was sealed, C and R took the ball outside to play for ten minutes.


After ten minutes, I poured out the water that had melted, refilled the ice, added more rock salt, scraped down the sides of the cylinder, and sent them back outside for another five minutes or so.


The end result was ice cream, and it was pretty good!  This is much better than the sealed plastic bag method we have used in the past!  I loved that C and R did almost all of the work, all I did was fill the ball! That is one cool birthday present!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool!!

MaryAnne said...

I've been tempted to get one of those for years. It looks like so much fun!

Kelly said...

I've always wondered if those balls really worked. It looks like fun! And yes, anytime they can do the work...!
Little Wonders' Days

Jennifer said...

Now THAT is pretty cool!!!

Annette W. said...

We have it too! But we only used it once since it makes such a small batch of ice cream. We are trying again soon though.

Ticia said...

Oh that looks really cool. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Debbie said...

I love this. Now I know next summer Selena and I will be making ice cream!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, this is one useful birthday present. It looks like both C and R had a lot of fun with it!

Susana said...

I've been looking at these balls forever! Thank you for this review of it. I see this in our summer plans next year for sure! I think the plastic bag ice cream is runny and salty. But, maybe we just made ours wrong, not sure.

Sherri said...

I am like all the other moms...I have been wanting to try this forever...thanks for breaking the ice...so the rest of us can give it a try! =)

Lynn said...

Oh, thanks so much for this review. We actually just did the ice in bag method today to make chocolate soy milk ice cream! My boy loved it, but it was a little arduous. Of course, he can't have dairy ice cream, so I like to try to compensate with fancy toppings or fun processes. Is the ball easy to clean afterwards?