Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ice Tunnels


After a couple of rainy days, we woke up to one of the most beautiful days of the summer.  It would have been a perfect beach day, but the idea of walking (waddling with a bit of a limp is more like it) the short distance from the parking lot to the beach and sitting in the hot sun just doesn't agree with me three weeks before my due date!  So, I thought C and R would enjoy playing with ice.


First, I mixed a few drops of liquid food coloring with a few tablespoons of table salt in my silicone muffin pan.

I had two containers that I added some water to and stuck in the freezer, and I also had a five pound bag of ice left from C's party.  I added all of that to a bin.


Then, I gave C and R plastic spoons and let them pour the colored salt all over the ice.  It quickly created gorgeous tunnels of color in the ice.



We talked about how salt lowers the freezing temperature of water and when poured on the ice, it creates crevices for the color to fill in.  I'll have to remind them of this when we see the trucks salting the roads during a snow storm!


I was inspired by a post at Art and Creativity and also saw this done by Almost Unschoolers.  For more scientific inspiration, check out Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

This always looks like fun, but I keep forgetting to do it with the kids! I remember those last weeks of pregnancy. Put your feet up and relax!
Little Wonders' Days

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

So beautiful! I hope you are doing well, and the baby stays put until her due date!

MaryAnne said...

What a great summer day activity! I don't blame you for skipping the beach!

Ticia said...

I agree with Kelly put your feet up and enjoy your last few weeks of realtive worry free time.........

But, those do look gorgeous. You really saturated the salt.

Jenny said...

What a pretty science lesson!

Susana said...

This looks like fun, Christy! I've wanted to try something like this all Summer and have it on my to do list for September when it's not over 100 degrees here :-).

I had hoped your pain was feeling better. Hang in there. I know how uncomfortable that is.

Debbie said...

I love the formations in the ice. I agree the thought of the beach and pregnancy especially as close as you are to welcoming in your bundle of joy does not sound very appealing to me either.

Susan said...

What a neat project! I bet the kids had a lot of fun.

Sherri said...

Have I seriously been this busy....that I missed all these awesome posts! Love this idea! Your one fun mom...I am always amazed at you!!!!