Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Autumn Leaves - Sun Catchers


After C made the sun catcher planets, I told R that I would help her make autumn leaves using the same technique.


She used the sharpener over wax paper to get a lot of tiny red and yellow crayon pieces.  I helped when she got tired of sharpening.



Then, we placed another piece of wax paper over the crayon pieces, covered that with an old towel, and used a warm iron to melt the pieces together by just ironing over the towel.



We both cut leaf shapes out of the melted crayon/ wax paper "sandwich" and taped them to the door.



They look great when the sun shines through them!

At bedtime, we read Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert.  The book tells the story of a sugar maple tree and the child who planted it.  We love the textual collages created by Ehlert.

5 comments:

Ticia said...

Sigh, I keep forgetting to get wax paper at the store, and I don't think freezer paper would do the trick.....

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Neat! I love that R cut her own leaves. They look lovely. We also love this book.

Julie said...

They came out great. I love this idea - and we actually have wax paper! I think we'll try it.

Susana said...

R looks so grown up! For some reason she looks older to me than just a few weeks ago. Maybe it's her 'big girl' shirt. She looks precious in it.

I love crayon shaving sun catchers. Yours turned out pretty, especially with the fall colors.

Sherri said...

I have missed my internet and your blog...your such a fun mom!