Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Countdown to Halloween

C and R decorated pumpkins last week.  C painted his pumpkin to look like one of his favorite Lego Hero Factory guys, Corroder (you can see him on the table in this photo).


R painted a rainbow pumpkin.  I used to draw rainbows all the time as a little girl; do all girls do that?


After C and R painted their pumpkins, C painted an egg carton orange so that each cup could become a pumpkin.


I cut green pipe cleaners and stuck the pieces into each "pumpkin" to make stems (I used a paper clip to make the hole first).  Then, I numbered them 1 - 12.




We are using the pumpkins for our countdown to Halloween.  Inside each pumpkin there is a slip of paper with a fun activity for the day written on it.  They are decorating our mantel right now, and as each day passes, we can turn the pumpkins around so that the number is no longer visible.

Here is our list of activities:

12 days:  make paper bag haunted houses

11 days:  read Halloween books

10 days:  wear costumes to the school dance

9 days:  make Halloween marshmallow treats

8 days:  carve jack o'lanterns

7 days:  read Halloween books

6 days:  Halloween craft

5 days:  Halloween party

4 days:  bake Halloween cookies

3 days:  read Halloween books

2 days:  Halloween breakfast - bat and ghost pancakes

1 day:   make a Halloween treat

I kept it simple because we have school, dance, soccer, piano, and Spanish (oh, and a NEWBORN!) to factor in to our schedule!

12 comments:

Jenny said...

That's a great idea! Abby likes to draw rainbows too!

Funny story: There was a rainbow a few weeks ago and I said, "Look, it's Roy G Biv!" Dave was like what are you talking about? He's NEVER heard of Roy G Biv before!

Now I'm wondering who else doesn't know about Roy G Biv?

Kelly said...

You don't have anything going on, do you?! I love your count down! Their pumpkins are cute too. What are they going as for Halloween?
Little Wonders' Days

Debbie said...

My older children always loved to paint their pumpkins, more then carving them. I loved it because then I could use them for pumpkin pies.

Anonymous said...

Love the countdown activities and the painted pumpkins!

MaryAnne said...

My kids would LOVE to be at your house between now and Halloween! So many fun activities!!!

Emma loves to draw rainbows, too =)

Brimful Curiosities said...

The pumpkin countdown is great! Neat way to recycle an egg carton. I just threw one out today!

Julie said...

I LOVE the idea of a countdown to Halloween. I may have to put together a list of activities for us to do.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Hmmm...I think we could do something similar to count down to National Candy Corn Day :) I love the rainbow pumpkin!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You call it simple??? I am amazed that you manage so much. We have our birthday chain right now, but I was planning to do a Halloween chain on Saturday. There is only one problem - I'll be so busy at work that I will probably have no time or energy for Halloween crafts or treats.

Susana said...

Their pumpkins are adorable! I need to make sure we do this here too. I forgot last year. Um, I think I should be worried--Joe likes to color rainbow style lots :-).

I really like what you did with the pumpkin cups for your Hween countdown. That is a creative and fun idea.

Thanks for including your list too. I'd totally forgotten about those cool pbag haunted houses. Pulled out some bags tonight for the kids to make them with tomorrow!!

BTW, you didn't keep it simple :-). You are AMAZING doing all this stuff with K in the house on top of your already busy days!!

Susana said...

Reading through the comments...yes, what are the kids going to be?

Here we are having a Greek princess, a pirate, a robot and a sort of skeleton.

Sherri said...

This is awesome! You guys are going to ROCK halloween! =)