Thursday, October 20, 2011

Haunted House Snack, Craft, and Book


I originally planned to make some very cool haunted house pops I saw online, but after some thought I decided to let the kids make their own.  They loved this, and I am happy that I let them be creative in this way.

This is how they made their haunted house snacks:

They began with one graham cracker broken into two squares.


To make them s'more-like, they spread Nutella on one and Fluff on the other.


We placed lollipop sticks in the middle, and used more Nutella to attach roof shaped graham crackers on the top of the cracker sandwich.


Next, they used black icing and ghost marshmallows to decorate their haunted houses.




Even T (the teenager) made one sans stick:


After this tasty treat, C and R made paper bag haunted houses:



C made this haunted house.  The green is supposed to be Frankenstein blood!!

This is the front of R's haunted house.  I love that she wrote "Boo"  above the door.
This is the back of R's house.  


We finished the haunted fun by reading In the Haunted House by Eve Bunting.  This is a fun, slightly spooky (fun and silly, not scary) book about two children walking through a haunted house.

8 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It's always fun when the teenagers will join in :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Oh, how fun! Love the edible haunted house.

MaryAnne said...

They did a great job on both the snacks and the houses!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Cute! Great take on gingerbread houses!

Jen said...

Oh, that book looks like fun. I need to get to the library soon! I might just have to make the little haunted houses with the kids this weekend- simple, but cute.

If so, I'll post and link to you! :)

Jen

phasejumper said...

pinned this! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Nutella and marshmallow fluff?! Why have I not thought of this? I love the paper bag haunted houses too! I'm pinning this as well. Thank you for sharing!

Susana said...

I LOVE T's haunted snack, Christy! It is awesome :-).

We are making the pbag haunted houses tomorrow. I've wanted to the last couple years after seeing y'all make them. So cheesy of me, but I can't wait :-)!