Friday, November 11, 2011

Made In the Pan Chocolate Cake


C and R made this cake with very little help from me.  I liked that it was all mixed and baked in the same pan.  C liked it with whipped cream on top; R asked for powdered sugar, but she didn't like the cake.  I thought it was okay, not my favorite cake recipe; I swear I could taste the vinegar.  The kids had fun making it though.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar or white vinegar

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 325°F.
  • Have ready an 8-inch-square glass baking pan.
  • Put flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking soda into a pan.
  • Mix it together.
  • Add water, oil, vanilla extract and vinegar.
  • Stir slowly with a fork in small circles to blend. As it becomes a batter, mash, scrape, and stir with fork and spoon until smooth.
  • Scrape the sides with a rubber spatula, and spread it evenly.
  • Clean the edges, and then bake for 30 minutes.
  • Cool before cutting into squares. This tastes good (and looks pretty) with some powdered sugar dusted on top.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8

7 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so weird that it calls for vinegar. I bet you did taste it. I've heard people use it for cleaning, but the smell is too nasty to me!

Sherri said...

This looks like a great activity...we are going to have to try this!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wonder if you could leave the vinegar out?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It does look yummy. I like recipes that don't require a lot of work!

Debbie said...

It seems like I use to have a one pan cake recipe. I don't remember it calling for vinegar. I will have to see if I can find it.

Kelly said...

How cool is it that they are starting to cook on their own! It looks like it should taste wonderful.
Little Wonders' Days

Susana said...

You know, this is the same recipe I'd had on hand to make a moon cake with for our Owl Moon row but we never got around to it. Maybe for the best if you say you could taste the vinegar--ewww. I wondered why it called for it. I thought the fact that it was mixed in the pan you baked it in was a great idea too and so easy for kids!