Thursday, November 3, 2011

Owl Sandwich and Books

We read two books featuring owls this week, so I had to reinvent my owl sandwich.  Last year, I made this owl sandwich


and these owl pancakes


My owl sandwich didn't change too much; actually, if I had checked the blog or remembered, I would have included the Cheerios, but I completely forgot about them.  So, the only real change is the addition of apple circles.

I cut the owl shape out of a slice of bread and covered it with peanut butter.  To make the eyes, I cut circles out of apple slices with my smallest biscuit cutter, and then placed banana circles on top of those and used raisins as the pupils.  The beak is a cashew.



The books we read this week are:


Owl Moon by Jane Yolen - In this book, a young girl goes owling with her father.  C and R both enjoyed this book, but I LOVED it.  Seriously, I felt transported into the woods on this cold, dark evening and I could see the moon, feel the cold air, and hear the echo.  I want to go owling now!  One cool thing is that the author's husband used to take their children owling in Massachusetts, and that made this book particularly pleasurable for Yolen to write.  It has also made me want to find out more about owling!

One Odd Old Owl by Paul S. Adshead is a tongue-twisiting, rhyming, repeating, puzzle story about a snoring owl that is disturbing a sleepy snail.  The snail asks more and more birds to wake the owl, to make the snoring stop, and the results are very funny!  We all enjoyed this book.  The illustrations alone are incredibly beautiful, and every time you read this book, you will discover a different layer of fun.

Click here to read about more owl books we have enjoyed, and to find directions for a simple owl craft.

C was so young in this photo!


10 comments:

Lynn said...

Ooh, I happened upon Owl Moon at the library one day and was totally transfixed! I didn't take it out, because I knew my son wouldn't like it at the time, but it stuck with me. I am planning to do an owl week sometime for our coop and am looking forward to rereading it. Adorable owl treats. Maybe I can do that when my family can eat again (flu, ugh). :)

Anonymous said...

What fun!! Love the food and books sound cute!

Jenny said...

Those look so yummy. We read Owl Moon also and it's a great book!

Ticia said...

I love Jane Yolen, her books are so awesome.

I've been meaning to ask, did you lose power during all this crazy weather?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

C has grown up a lot since that last photo!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

there is such a big difference between an earlier pic of C and the current one in this post. I also love Jane Yolen book.

Debbie said...

We enjoyed Owl Moon. The sandwiches and pancakes look yummy!

MaryAnne said...

C looks so little!

Your snacks and crafts are so cute! We'll have to look for those books at the library.

Sherri said...

That is the cutest owl paper bag ever!

Susana said...

I love your owl sandwich! I remember that paper bag owl. Look at C!! Wow, bittersweet!

I am SO glad y'all enjoyed Owl Moon. It is such a good book, sweet too. I have really enjoyed the selections from FIAR so far.

I thought of y'all when we rowed it because of MA. Wouldn't it be cool to actually go owling? If you do, make sure to tell me all about it :-)!!