Saturday, November 19, 2011

Salt Dough Turkeys and Ornaments


While C and R were at school yesterday, I made a batch of salt dough.  I used some of it to form salt dough turkeys following directions from The Artist Woman.

The recipe I used is:

4 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 cups water

I mixed the dough and then rolled it out to about 1/2 inch.  Then I formed the turkeys by using a biscuit cutter for the large circle and a small biscuit cutter for the smaller circle.  I cut the dough into the feather shapes and attached them with a bit of water; then I used a skewer to draw lines to make them look like feathers.  I also cut out a beak shape and rolled a sausage shape for the head; to attach the pieces, I just wet my fingers and stuck the pieces together.  The eyes are cloves that I stuck in before baking.  For more detailed directions, click on the link in the first paragraph above - The Artist Woman gave very detailed directions about how to form the turkeys.  I baked the turkeys at 300 degrees for about two hours.

When C and R came home, they painted the turkeys and then we applied a coat of Mod Podge.


We had a lot of salt dough, so we used Christmas cookie cutters to cut out some for ornaments.  I used a straw to make a hole in them before we baked them.  The ornaments were thinner, so we baked those at 200 degrees for about two hours.  C and R painted them once they were dry.  Here are a few of the ornaments they made:



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute!! Love the turkeys and those ornaments will look great on the tree!

MaryAnne said...

Salt dough ornaments are always fun! I need to make some with the kids this year.

I was happy to see your recipe has a 4:1 flour:salt ratio. The one I've used in the past has a 2:1 ratio and I've always felt that much salt was hard on little hands. We'll give your recipe a go this year!

Debbie said...

Their ornaments turned out so cute.

Jenny said...

Fun! We made salt dough ornaments a few years back. I just remember the salt really burning my hands!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We enjoyed our last salt dough endeavor, except that we still have a bunch of unpainted things. I will probably get them out and make them into tree ornaments :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

And I forgot to add - salt dough turkeys look awesome!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Salt dough ornaments are a classic!

Sherri said...

These are awesome! The turkey are such a fun thanksgiving activity!

Kelly said...

I LOVE the turkeys! Salt dough really is a fun and cheap way to make things with the kids.
Little Wonders' Days

Susana said...

These all turned out great. What a good idea to make ornaments too while you were at it!