Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cactus Painting

I enjoyed cactus painting more than my children did.  I found the painting to be very relaxing and I loved the texture of the dry paint.  C and R enjoyed it too, just not as much as I did. 

First, I drew a huge cactus on a large roll of paper.


To make the cactus paint, I mixed together 1/4 cup liquid laundry starch, 1/4 cup water, 2 TBSP green paint, and 1 cup salt. 

Then we painted the cactus and left the paper on the floor to dry.  When dry, the paint has a rough texture.

We did this project as part of our Texas studies for our Fifty States Project.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good idea for your TX theme :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great texture painting! I love their cactus! :)

Texas is a fun state to study so much history and culture!

Susana said...

This is awesome! I LOVE this whole idea.

Your Texas unit study/activities are SO much fun. Some of my faves of all y'all have done!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What an interesting idea! I would have probably gone with puffy salt-flour paint - it's always a hit here, especially after it dries.

Jenny said...

Great idea! Where do you get all of your activities and project ideas from? They are always awesome!

Being us... said...

I am filing away all of your great ideas. My children are waaaayyyy too young for some of them but since I am planning on homeschooling they will be great in a few years when I start! Thanks!

Lynn said...

Oh, now this is something I should do this week, since we just went on vacation to Arizona last week and my son saw Saguaros for the first time! He was on a bit of an art hiatus there for awhile, but if I can lure him back, I may try this. I even have some of that brown paper. Thanks for the great idea. :)

Michelle said...

This looks so cool! I love the texture that salt adds to paint :0)

Ticia said...

Looks like a cactus to me texture wise. I like it.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

This turned out great! Love the texture of the paint... very cool!

Miller Moments said...

Really cool!