Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crazy Hair


Crazy Hair by Neil Gaiman and David McKean is a book about a man with really crazy hair that has never been cut.  A girl suggests that he take a comb to his hair, and he tells her in rhyming fashion why this is not possible.  His hair is the home for all sorts of creatures and objects - carousels, pirate ships, blue octopi, birds and comb-eating bears.  When the girl decides to comb his hair, a huge arm pulls her into that crazy hair.  She lives in there quite happily, believe it or not.

I read this book at the library, and questioned whether to bring it home.  I thought it was a little strange, maybe even a bit scary, and I did not think my kids would like it.  I was wrong.  They think it is hysterical!

This book is so unusual that we just had to make a little crazy hair ourselves.  We began by drawing faces and then added some crazy hair.  We also added some crazy creatures to live in the crazy hair.

Here is the face and crazy hair that R drew:


Here it is after she made it really crazy with some curly ribbon and licorice laces for hair, and a few dinosaurs and animals to live in that crazy hair:

For some reason, I did not get a before photo of the face C drew, but here is C's person with crazy hair:

They had fun with this book.  They also had fun eating the licorice laces!

9 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

looks like some great fun you guys had! love the crazy hair and the drawings!

you do the neatest activities with books!

Unknown said...

My kiddos would like that book too! They are all into mohawks and stuff! lol

Stacy said...

So funny! I've nominated you for an award at http://bubblesballoonsandblessings.blogspot.com/2010/01/lemonade-stand-award.html

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I just love the face that R drew - very impressive. I doubt very much that this book would be "ours" though despite the fact that I enjoy Gaiman's books for adults.

Susana said...

This book sounds absolutely hilarious!! I hope to add yet another book to our requests, let you know.

LOVE their creations, and what a cute picture of C with that licorice lace.

You're so fun!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

That does look like a lot of fun, and I love how you used curling ribbon. Very creative! When I saw the title of this post, I got worried and thought maybe one of the kids took scissors to their own hair..... *phew* so relieved now!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

Looks like a great book & a fun activity to go with it! We'll have to see if our library has a copy. :)

Nadia said...

that is a great idea... the ribbon and the hair! i wanna try that but will only be able to once Deen gets a little older and can actually draw a face

Mama to 5 said...

what a cute book, I am going to jot it down & see if our library has it. I would be cute to see what drawing my preschooler would do. Thanks! :)