Monday, January 4, 2010

The Three Little Pigs


We are having so much fun reading The Three Little Hawaiian Pigs and The Magic Shark by Donivee Martin Laird.  (Thank you, Karen)  This adaptation of The Three Little Pigs is set in Hawaii.  The Magic Shark (there are no wolves in Hawaii) tries his wizardry and a few disguises in an attempt to catch the pigs for dinner but is foiled by the little pigs and ends up in the local dump.

The book is fun to read.  C and R loved the disguises the shark wore to trick the pigs, especially the lei seller disguise.  I love the use of Hawaiian words throughout the book, and there is a glossary too.

In addition to using this book to help us learn a little bit about Hawaii for our Fifty States Project, we also made a chart comparing and contrasting this book to the original story.



C and R both did very well remembering differences and similarities between the two stories.  It was a fun game for all of us.

There are Hawaiian versions of Jack and the Beanstalk, Goldilocks, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, and The Gingerbread Boy, but they are not available from my local library.

7 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is great i love the story web thing you made {i know its not a web but its too early for me to remember what the circles are :) }

that book looks cute i've never heard it.

bet you wish you lived in Hawaii right now with all the snow and cold temps you have right now!

Ticia said...

Sigh, I love fractured fairy tales, it looks like now I have another one to look for.
Great use of a Venn diagram.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a great diagram you guys put together! I've never heard of the Hawaiian version of these fairy tales, but now I'll be looking for them when I make a trip to the library this afternoon. What fun!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love Venn diagram - how inventive. I will be looking for this book as well, especially once we receive our postcard from Hawaii :)

Ticia said...

So, to totally be all stalkerish and comment twice, ha!
I've left you an award over at my blog (and yes I know you already have it).

Shaka for Books! said...

I love the 50 states project idea, looks like you and your kids are having lots of fun. I'm pretty sure I read this book when I was younger, but may have to look it up again. Love how you broke down the stories in a Venn. Aloha!

Susana said...

This does look like such a fun book and I would have never known there were Hawaiian versions of books period, let alone so many. How do you find out these things?

I really like your compare/contrast chart/idea.