Friday, January 8, 2010

Hurry Up and Slow Down


Hurry Up and Slow Down by Layn Marlow is a spin-off of "The Tortoise and the Hare".  The story follows the two characters over the course of a day.  Hare is always in a hurry, and Tortoise prefers to take his time.  At the end of the day, however, Tortoise is anxious to drink his chamomile tea and tries to rush through the bedtime story that Hare asked him to read.  When Hare says, "Hurry up and slow down," Tortoise looks longingly at his tea, but realizes what is most important and decides to read the entire book again.

I love this book.  C and R love it too.  The characters are cute, the illustrations are pretty, the text is perfect in length for preschool to young elementary aged children, and the message is one we all need to remember!  This is one of those books that just warms your heart when you read it.  We will definitely be borrowing this book from the library on a regular basis!

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww that sounds like a great book i've seen it at our library i'll have to put it on hold.

we love sweet stories

Ticia said...

That does sound cute. Have you ever read Tops and Bottoms, that's what the title made me think of, even though their not really related.

Susana said...

This sounds like a sweet book. I wish I would have read this post earlier today. I have been in hurry up mode all day with my kids and now after reading this feel so guilty.

I will try to do better tomorrow. I always feel bad for saying that too, b/c I just hope I didn't waste precious moments "today".

Thanks for this. I hope our library has it.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll see if our library has it.

Jenny said...

That looks like a cute book. I like the illustrations on the cover.