Monday, February 22, 2010

Alligators

We are learning about alligators for the Florida section of our Fifty States Project.  We read:
  • There's an Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Meyer
  • Never Kiss an Alligator by Colleen Stanley Bare
  • What's the Difference Between an Alligator and a Crocodile? by Lisa Bullard

I found this alligator and liked the idea of using an egg carton for the body, but instead of using sequins to add texture to the nose and tail, we used bubble wrap.  C and R painted the egg carton and bubble wrap green and we assembled the alligator together.


R also made an alligator A like the one featured on No Time for Flashcards.  I cut out the A and she used dot markers to color it, and then glued on teeth and googly eyes.

7 comments:

Ticia said...

Cute project, and I love "There's An Alligator Under My Bed." Mercer Mayer has so many great books.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

what great alligators!!! never heard of the book Never kiss an alligator i'm off to see if our library has it!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

The first book definitely sounds like a winner! Your alligator projects are cute too - it looks like kids had a lot of fun with this.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Oh wow, these books and projects are great! Both of my girls LOVE alligators, and I know this would be a great hit with them. You have such great ideas!!

Susana said...

These books look like such fun reads, I'm going to request them tonight for us. I hope the library has them.

R's alligator is super cute, and Joe would LOVE to make one like C's!!

Thanks for the idea and the link too.

Susana said...

These books look like such fun reads, I'm going to request them tonight for us. I hope the library has them.

R's alligator is super cute, and Joe would LOVE to make one like C's!!

Thanks for the idea and the link too.

Jenny said...

Those are cute alligators!