Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Legend of the Bluebonnet

We are really loving learning about Texas for our Fifty States Project.  There are so many great books and wonderful things to learn about the Lone Star State. 
The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie dePaola tells the story of how the bluebonnet, the Texas state flower, came to be.  This is a beautiful story of a young girl who has lost her entire family to the drought and sacrifices her most prized possession to save her tribe.  I really love this book.  I am not sure if C and R really understood the story of sacrifice, but they did enjoy the book.

After reading the book, C and R made their own bluebonnets.

First, they used green markers to draw the stem and leaves of their bluebonnets.  Then, they finger painted the flowers.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cute project! I like how you tie it into the story!

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am impressed with how you find so many interesting things to learn about each state and how you don't rush this project. C and R learn so much from you.

Ticia said...

I'm totally laughing because I was about to read the book today and do the exact same project. I guess great minds think alike.

Anonymous said...

those turned out soo cute! looks like alot of fun

I've never seen that book i'll have to check it out from our library

Anonymous said...

those turned out soo cute! looks like alot of fun

I've never seen that book i'll have to check it out from our library

Miller Moments said...

What a great project! I'll have to look for that book-I'm always on the hunt for a good new story.

Susana said...

I love the little finger painted bluebonnet flowers. This was a fun way to do this.

I like Tomie dePaola books, and this does sound like a touching story.

I also like your paint palette. I need to remember to get one of those one of those days. So much nicer than a paper plate!

Amy said...

They look so cute, and realistic too.

Living in Texas, you really do see bluebonnets growing everywhere in the Spring - the state seeds them so they grow along the state highways and medians!

Z-Kids said...

Great flowers!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Very cute! They did a great job :)