Friday, February 19, 2010

Opposites


C is always proclaiming the day as "opposite day"!  I think this originated with an episode of Little Bear, but now it is a regular occurrence.  Black? White! Day? Night! by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a fun book of opposites.  My kids love to lift the flaps (very cool die-cut pages) to see how black becomes white, day becomes night, narrow becomes wide, and more.  Seeger is an incredibly clever author; we love Lemons are not Red and First the Egg by her too.  We have read all of these books quite a few times.

We focused on black and white for our book project.

C and R folded a black piece of construction paper in half and then painted one side of the paper with white paint.  I helped them fold the paper to reveal the opposite of their painting on the other side of the paper.

This is C's creation; he said it is a butterfly:
Here is the work of art by R:
They also made collages placing black paper, buttons, pom poms, and googly eyes on white paper.
Notice that R added a pink button to her collage.  I guess she thinks everything needs a little pink!
Do you ever have opposite day in your house?  

6 comments:

danita said...

cute ideas! every day is opposite day b/c my son gets very confused with his opposites!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we LOVE that book!!! :)

love their art!!! :)

paint blotto's are so cool, our black on orange construction paper are still up i love them so much

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We also love Laura Seeger books, but we haven't seen this one. Have you read her Dog and Bear books? They are also pretty good for early readers and have fun illustrations.

Stacy said...

Thanks so much for the book suggestion....I just requested it from our library!

Susana said...

You read the best books. I like both of the projects they did with this book, but that pink button is awesome:-)!!

Ticia said...

I totally see the butterfly.
Have you ever heard the Opposite Day song? I have no clue who it's by, but I used to hear it all the time on "Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child" podcast.
The other thing I thought of immediately when I saw your post is the book "Wacky Wednesday." I bet C would totally love it and finding all of the wacky things in the pictures.