Friday, February 12, 2010

The Year of the Tiger

We read two books in honor of Chinese New Year (February 14th this year).  D is for Dancing Dragon, A China Alphabet by Carol Crane and Zong-Zhou Wang is a nice way to learn a little about China.


This year is the year of the tiger.  We read Who is the Beast?  by Keith Baker.  This book is not about China or Chinese New Year, but it is a great picture book featuring a tiger, and we happen to love reading it.   

After reading this book, I gave C and R white card stock with the outline of a tiger's face drawn by me on the paper.  They placed the paper in a cardboard box, added a few squirts of orange and black paint, and dropped in a few marbles.

They worked together to shake, tilt, and spin the box for some fun marble painting.
Once the paint dried, I cut out their tiger faces.  Then we cut out holes for the eyes and attached craft sticks to the back for them to hold.
Happy Chinese New Year!

4 comments:

Susana said...

Those tigers are awesome!

I LOVE the whole process of how you made them. They turned out great!

D is for Dragon Dancing is one I wanted badly, but it was out with tons of requests, so I couldn't get it.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Those books sound like fun. I plan a lot of China activities for the next week, but this book didn't quite cross my radar. Maybe next year :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

those tigers are AWESOME!!!!

the books look great I'll have to check them out from our library!

Cindy said...

Oh I love marble painting. I haven't done it with Drew in forever. Your tigers are awesome!