Monday, February 8, 2010

Bepuzzle Your Valentine

Before Christmas, we made Rudolph magnets out of puzzle pieces.  I recommended saving puzzle pieces for crafts, and a few people asked me to post more puzzle piece craft ideas.  I finally have one.  I have seen puzzle piece frames made with craft sticks, but I thought it would be cute to make a heart shaped frame with puzzle pieces for Valentine's Day.

First, paint the back of your puzzle pieces with red or pink paint.  We used acrylic paint.

Next, cut out a heart shape from a piece of cardboard and cover it with aluminum foil.
Hot glue your dry puzzle pieces around the perimeter of the heart.  I recommend that you take a minute to figure out where you want your pieces before you start gluing.
Attach a photo (or a few photos) to the center of your heart, and stick a magnet on the back. Here's another tip - always keep those free magnets; I use them for crafts.  I just hot glue them to the back of whatever I want to turn into a magnet.  You can cut them to whatever size you need.  For this heart, I used two business card sized magnets.  They work great.

Here is our finished Valentine on our refrigerator:

5 comments:

Sherry said...

very cute! I love puzzle piece crafts!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

So cute - we just need to have a puzzle that we don't want anymore :) Maybe next year.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

those turned out so cute!

I love them! and a great recycled craft :)

Christy Killoran said...

I should have mentioned this, but we save all of our puzzle pieces from puzzles with missing pieces. I have also purchased puzzles from the dollar store to be used just for crafts.

Susana said...

I LOVED your Rudolph magnets, and love these too!

That is such a great idea about saving the puzzle pieces. I wouldn't have thought to do that otherwise. Thank you!

I hope to have the kids make one of these for my mom this week. She'd love to have it.