Saturday, February 27, 2010

Clouds


I currently host a preschool story hour at a local coffee shop.  This week, I read two books about clouds.

It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles G. Shaw is a fun book for kids because they recognize the familiar shapes on each page and after a few pages, the repetitive text allows the children to read along with you.  Is it spilt milk or a bird or a birthday cake or an angel?  No, but what is it?  Use your imagination because there really are no wrong answers.  It's all about what you see in the clouds.

We also read Little Cloud by Eric Carle.  This book is about a little cloud that drifts away from his friends and changes shape to become many different objects.  In the end he joins his friends to form one big cloud and it rains.   I think Eric Carle is a wonderful author/illustrator and this book is no exception.  It's a fun read for children.

The story hour attracts children between the ages of one and five, so I try to keep the craft portion simple and yet fun.  This week they all made their own clouds.  I provided blue paper, glue, and cotton balls.  Older children can draw a picture on the paper first (using white chalk is great to create the cloud effect) and then fill in the picture with cotton balls to make their clouds look like something specific.  Younger children can just enjoy the tactile experience and stick the cotton balls on the paper however they like.  This is a very open-ended craft that translates well for children of all ages.  Story hour was a success!

9 comments:

Annette W. said...

That's a very cool idea! Our Starbucks offers one, though I've never been to it. Our library does the same, but I like the idea of it being in a coffee shop...something different.

Jenny said...

We have read both of those books and they are great! How cool that you host a book reading!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

what a great storytime hour! i bet they loved the big book! my girls love oversized books :)

I wish I lived closer we would go to your storytimes :)

Susana said...

I know you are so good at your storytime! If we lived nearby, I'd be there every week with Joe and Jack:-)!

I like both of these books too. Jack LOVES the oversized books right now!

Lynn said...

What a great thing you do! How did you get started doing it? Your cotton ball idea is perfect for all ages. I have just started doing a monthly 'craft club' for our mom's club. It is all ages and open, technically, to about 30 families, but I think it will be more like 3-10 that come each time. I'll be doing a St Patrick's Day one next month.

Ticia said...

How very fun to do a fun craft like this.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is awesome that you have such an outlet for your creativity, and other moms can benefit from your excellent book choices. I agree that the craft that you chose is perfect for the theme and for the age. I am hoping that you will share more of your story time choices online :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

How funny -- we just read Cloudville, and Emily does NOT want to return it to the library any time soon. What a great craft you guys did! I love it!

Cindy said...

Spilt Milk is one of my favs. We will have to check out Cloudville. Thanks