Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fine Motor Skills Fun


It has been cold and rainy here.  I didn't have any of my own craft projects ready to go and R was a bit antsy, but we found this Disney Princess Scrunch Art Activity in one of the toy closets.  It was a Christmas present from Papa and Grandma M that I had put away for exactly this type of day. 

The kit comes with three cardboard princesses and 300 sparkly tissue squares.  You peel the plastic off the front of the princess' dress to reveal a sticky film, crumple up the tissue paper, and stick the crumpled paper wherever you want.

This is a great activity for improving your child's fine motor skills.  If you don't have this kit, scrunching up any kind of paper is great for this purpose.  Scrunch up newspaper and find a wastebasket or laundry hamper to make a homemade basketball game, scrunch up white paper and have a "snowball" fight, or scrunch up small pieces of different colored tissue paper and glue them on to another paper to create a mosaic. 

Here are the princesses after R and I finished decorating them:
R enjoyed this activity so much more than I thought she would, and we have a lot of the sparkly tissue paper squares left for future crafts!

8 comments:

danita said...

oooh! sparkly tissue paper! now what's more fun than that?

Gidget Girl Reading said...

so cute and she can use it for party decorations :)

i'll have to look for some scrunch art.

Michelle said...

Emily would love that! We actually got something similar from ALEX toys I will have to dig it out of the closet too. It is cold and rainy here too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This turned out so very pretty - we should try scrunched tissue paper collage too one of those rainy days.

Jenny said...

I haven't seen this one before. How fun!

Laura said...

Oh, this is a great idea. My youngest has fine motor delays, so this would be great for her!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Ooooooo... I love this idea! I might try my hand at making my own version of something like this. Fun!

Susana said...

I've never heard of anything like this. I'm going to see if they have it in a "boy" style.