Thursday, February 4, 2010

Javelinas and another Cowboy

Do you remember my post about The Gingerbread Cowboy?  I wrote that the gingerbread cowboy was chased by javelinas and noted that I had never heard of javelinas before.  Well, now my children and I are quite familiar with these interesting creatures.  Javelinas are relatives of swine, but not true pigs, and they are also related to the hippopotamus.  They are very bristly (as the author notes, "very hairy on the chinny-chin-chin").  Before I knew better (thanks Karen), I was calling them javelinas with an English "j" sound at the beginning, but obviously the word is Spanish so the initial sound is "h".

This week we read, The Three Little Javelinas by Susan Lowell.  This book is a southwestern version of The Three Little Pigs. The setting for this story is actually the vicinity of the Tohono O'Odham Reservation near Tucson, Arizona, but the author notes that the setting could really be almost any dry southwestern area where javelinas, coyotes, tumbleweeds, cacti, and adobe houses are found - which includes parts of Texas. 

We also enjoyed Bubba, The Cowboy Prince, A Fractured Texas Tale by Helen Ketteman.  This book is a parody of  Cinderella and is set in Texas.  The fairy godmother is a cow, and the hero, named Bubba, is the stepson of a wicked rancher.  He wants to go to the ball to dance with Miz Lurleen, but he smells like cattle and has nothing to wear.  You can just imagine what happens next.  My favorite line from the book is said by Miz Lurleen, "There goes another ten-dollar Stetson on a five-cent head."  How funny is that?  Does anyone really say that in Texas?  I hope so.  This book is a fun read, the illustrations are great, and I tried my best to read it with a Texas accent - ha, now that is hysterical! 

I really enjoy reading different versions of fairy tales.

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am amazed how you manage to find those local versions of fairy tales. I've never heard of javelinas before either, but then... I don't live in SouthWest :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

you find the coolest books to fit your state study!

I'm going to have to start a study of states with Syd (tif will get involved once we start it)maybe we can start this summer!

got any pointers for me???

Katie said...

you also need to read "Don't Call Me Pig". Another great story about javelinas and you get a little info about them as well. Regular read in my house with my boys.

Susana said...

I LOVE the books you get for your states projects.

These both sound so fun!

Wish I could have been there, I'm not a Texan, but I could have thrown my Southern twang in for the reading:-).