Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cotton Clay


Cotton clay recipe:
3 cups cotton balls
2 cups water
2/3 cup flour
food coloring (optional)

  • Tear cotton balls into small pieces and put in a saucepan
  • Add water
  • Stir in flour 
  • Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for approximately five minutes or until mixture begins to stiffen
  • Remove from heat and allow to cool on a towel
  • I then split it in half and put it into two containers with a few drops of food coloring (red for C and purple for R)
  • Begin sculpting, squishing, and just having fun







If you create a structure that you would like to keep, just leave it out to dry for 24 hours.
*Edited to add:  The clay is very wet and the best way I can describe the texture is goopy.  I'm not sure how long it will last, but we stored it in a ziploc bag and it is still moldable two days later.  I hope this answers your questions!

12 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is awesome! how is the texture?? is this something your going to make again??

Bran said...

I've never heard of cotton clay before. I was also going to ask how the texture was? We'll have to try it out!

Annette W. said...

Same thoughts as above comment! Also, will it be reusable?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is pretty interesting. I am also curious as to how it feels. C looks wildly excited about it :)

Christy Killoran said...

It feels very wet. Goopy is the best way to describe it. I'm not sure how long it would last. We put it in a ziploc bag and it is still moldable two days later. If you leave it out, it will dry out.

momandkiddo said...

I've never heard of this before! I am intrigued.

Rebecca said...

This is different! Cool!

Being us... said...

My little guy loves anything playdoh, squishy, moldable...this is definitely going in my "to do list"

teachmama said...

What??!! I have never, ever heard of this idea, Christie! I'll totally try it as a NFUF!

Thank you, thank you, thank you--and I'll link back to you if that's okay when I do post it.

:*)

Jenny said...

I've never heard of this, looks like fun!

Susana said...

Where on earth did you find this idea?!

I've never seen anything like this, it's really cool!

Ticia said...

I've never seen this before, and it looks so fun.