Saturday, March 27, 2010

Have you read these?

We are in love with these books right now; you have to read them!

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch has a wonderful message: if you don't love me for who I am, then you are not the man for me!  I love this book.  C and R really enjoyed the story too; there is a princess, a prince and a dragon, my kids were hooked immediately.  I have to admit, however, that R is a big fan of  marriage and weddings so she was a little disappointed that the princess did not find a wonderful prince to marry.



The other book we are enjoying tremendously right now is How Much is a Million? by David M. Schwartz.  My children are always asking about large numbers, and it is so difficult to explain one million, but this book does just that.  There are fun explanations like, it would take twenty-three days to count to a million and that a goldfish bowl large enough to hold a million goldfish could hold a whale. Great book!

    

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

We've read the Paper Bag Princess, but I never heard of the other one! Off to the library I go!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the Paper Bag Princess! I just discovered that my copy is lost so I have to order another copy---SOON!

How Much is a Million? is our Governor's book this year. Our Georgia governor gives a copy to every child enrolled in Ga. Pre-K. My challenge this year was to come up with a variety of activities to correspond to the book. It turned out to be quite a challenge! I did manage to implement quite a few activities. Good book, but I think much better for early elementary than pre-K! :)

Miller Moments said...

I haven't read either one. Yeah, new books to look for!!! I'm always looking for new books to read my boys.

Rebecca said...

We own How Much Is a Million. My kids are too young for it yet, but its going to be great when it comes time to teach them things like that! It really makes you think!

Mandy said...

i like the sound of that first book. my R is into marriages and weddings too and she would probably get a lot from that message.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We read both, but Anna didn't like them. In fact, she positively hated Paper Bag Princess - the dragon who destroyed her kingdom and left bones in its wake was way too much for her. The other one was simply too early - she couldn't connect to it.

Anonymous said...

we so love the paper bag princess!

I really think every little girl needs to read this!

I love how that little princess takes nothing off anyone :)

i'll have to check out the other book thanks for the book suggestion

Cindy said...

I used to read Paper Bag Princess to my daughter all the time. We loved it. I haven't checked it out for either of my boys. I think Drew would love it b/c he loves dragons. And we love Steven Kellogg. We haven't seen this one though.

Jenny said...

Those do sound like neat books!

Susana said...

We haven't read either of these, but you know I'll be adding them to my request list!

They both sound great--as always thanks for more super book titles!

Ticia said...

I LOVE both of those! Especially Paper Bag Princess. It's so much fun.

Demarcus Family said...

Thanks for the recs! My older son ( age 6) REALLY got the Million book! His eyes were big the whole time!