Friday, March 12, 2010

Rainbow Collage Sun Catcher

I sound like a broken record, but we are hoping to lure some little leprechauns into our house, and rainbows have been known to catch their eye.  You already know how much I love sun catchers (we made the store bought variety, and butterflies, and hearts, and shamrocks), and now after going back and looking at all of those posts it seems that I cannot decide if they should be called "suncatchers" or "sun catchers".

Anyway, I always love an excuse for fine motor work and tearing tissue paper gets those fingers moving.  I had R tear tissue paper in all of the colors of the rainbow.  Then I cut a rainbow shape out of clear contact paper and helped her stick the pieces on in the right order.  We read What Makes a Rainbow by Betty Ann Schwartz while we worked on this to help R remember the correct order of colors in the rainbow.


When she finished, I placed another piece of contact paper over her rainbow to seal the pieces inside.

 I cut out the rainbow and then we used double sided tape to stick a few cotton ball clouds on the bottom.

Another sun catcher, another cloudy day.  What's the deal with that?  Maybe I'm subconsciously hoping our sun catchers will bring the sun out from behind the clouds!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the post it is so cute! I do the same with suncatchers sometimes its together sometimes it's 2 seperate words :)

I LOVE all your sun catchers they always turn out soo pretty! :)

great job! hope it attracts leprechauns and the sun!

Angela said...

I love the Suncatchers. I think we are going to make some. You should like up with my Kid Friendly Friday.

Jen said...

They looks so great in the window.

Jen

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love this suncatcher - it turned out very pretty. R definitely knows how to stay at the task. Anna is quite content with tearing about 2 pieces, sticking them on and declaring the project done :)

Bobbi & Noe said...

Awe...they turned out cute! I do need something on my window. I just took our winter stuff down!

Miller Moments said...

Love this! My favorite sun catcher so far.

Julie said...

Pretty! I should do this too. It's much nicer than just putting the rainbow on paper!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Beautiful! Even on a cloudy day! :-)

Renee said...

I just found your blog, and how fun it is!! I love your sun catcher. :) I definatly want to try this with my kiddo.

Susana said...

I hope your suncatcher does bring some sun!

I LOVE this particular suncatcher. It is so pretty. I like rainbows, so this really catches my eye.

R did a great job too!!

Annette W. said...

I really think this rainbow is adorable! Great for your window!

Amy said...

Let me know if it works (bringing out the sun) and I'll make a million sun catchers!

Deborah Stewart said...

I am with you - I need some sunshine here! The rainbow turned out lovely:)

Being us... said...

I have loved reading all of your St. Patricks Day crafts, I have one that your kids might like for rainbows...check it out!

http://beingjake.blogspot.com/2010/03/st-patricks-day-crafts.html