Thursday, March 4, 2010

Potato Prints


Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato, An Irish Folktale by Tomie DePaola is the tale of the laziest man in Ireland.  He is too lazy to harvest the potatoes and when his wife's back gives out, he worries that he will go hungry all winter.  Jamie is lucky enough to catch a leprechaun, however, and he never has to worry about food again.

After reading this book, we made potato prints.  We left one half of the potato flat and I carved a shamrock design into the other half.  

When they finished, C and R added a few shamrock stickers to their artwork.

I am linking this post to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.  Hop on over there and check out all of the creative story + art projects!

12 comments:

The Wohlleb Family said...

We love that story! That was out St. patty's day book from 2009. This year we got Lucky Tucker, it's pretty cute ;) I think that I will have to try out the potato art project with my kids!

Susana said...

This is a fun project for this book. I really like it.

Joe and I read this book last year. This would have been super to do along with it. Your book/craft ideas are always SO good.

I know your story hour has got to be a blast each month!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute even though I don't quite see the shamrock :) I was considering this story for our Ireland visit, but opted for a couple of others instead.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Potato prints for an Irish story! That's just too perfect - I love it.

Annette W. said...

You always come up with fabulous ideas!

melaniet42 said...

That book looks great! I love the potato prints!!

Unknown said...

Aye, lassie- I think I will be addin' this to my St. Patrick's Day lesson plans! (Imagine Liam Neeson saying this...)

sbswtp said...

The prints came out great!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

what a great art project! I love the book and the prints!

the did such great creations!! :)

Jenny said...

I just saw this book at the library today. Why didn't I pick it up?

Ticia said...

I always love the potato print stamps I see people do. But, I always wonder how you carve it out? Do you put a cookie cutter into it and just carve around the cutter?

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've never tried potato printing but the craft does fit your book choice. We talked about shamrocks this week, too.