Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Manatees

We are currently learning about Florida for our Fifty States Project.  I always try to read a few books about an animal that is native to the state we are studying.  We read about alligators and manatees for the state of Florida.  You can read about the alligators by clicking here.  To learn more about manatees, we read:
  • Florida Manatee by Louise and Richard Spilsbury- we skimmed through this book and just read a few facts.  It is really meant for older children, but the pictures are great and we learned a few things too.
  • Diego's Manatee Rescue by Sheila Sweeny Higginson- the Diego rescue books are very informative while also being just right for young children.  The text is the perfect length and the books provide a few facts about the animals.
  • I'm a Manatee by John Lithgow - we happen to own this book and enjoy reading it often.  A young boy dreams that he is a manatee.  It's a funny book.  
We also watched some video of manatees on You Tube.  This was very enjoyable for all of us.  They are such graceful animals, but you would never guess that if you didn't watch them in the water.

10 comments:

momandkiddo said...

I think I should introduce my son to Manatees. It might just become his new obsession. And now I have some books ideas, thanks to you!

momandkiddo said...

I also meant to leave a comment saying that I enjoy following these states activities. Kiddo is really, really, really, really into the states (a post coming soon) but I hadn't thought of doing activities based on them like you have. If I can get my act together we might do something similar.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww we love manatees we had a resident one that lived in the water on the base my dad was stationed at in florida when i was little!

LOVE them!!!

Annette W. said...

I never would have thought to find a video!

Ticia said...

So, when you see manatees do you get the Barbara Manatee song stuck in your head?

Rebecca said...

Those books like great!

Julie said...

My kids LOVE manatees! They each have a stuffed one that they sleep with. My husband and I got them for them when we went to Florida without them. We borrowed that Lithgow book from the library a while ago and C really liked it.

Jenny said...

I remember seeing the manatees in Florida and they are so awesome. I bet Abby will love seeing them when we go in a few weeks. I'll have to look up the I'm A Manatee book to read before.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I quite love Diego books - they are usually very informative and, as you said, perfect for young children. We will make sure to look for this one in the library.

Susana said...

Joe and Jack both enjoy that particular Diego book. We are on a Diego kick around here right now:-).

I'll have to watch some of those manatee YouTube videos with Joe and Hanna. I bet they would enjoy them too.

I meant to tell you, we are starting our 50 states project off in our history as soon as we finish covering our US Flag study--started it this week. And, drumroll, we kick off our study with Massachusetts:-). We study Ben Franklin first, and since he's from MA, we'll begin with that state!!

OK, I'll end this email type comment now!