Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Sweetest Smelling Garden


We have painted with Kool Aid many times, and this week we decided to make a sweet smelling garden.  I drew some crazy looking flowers on watercolor paper (I used watercolor paper because it is more forgiving when it is wet!).  Then, to make the Kool Aid paint, I mixed 2 TBSP of water with one packet of unsweetened Kool Aid powder. 


We used different flavors of Kool Aid powder in little plastic containers so that we could have a colorful (and fragrant) garden. 

R painted all of the flowers to her liking and when it was dry, it smelled so sweet.  We cut out the dry flowers and glued them onto green construction paper that we cut to look like grass.  I love the way Kool Aid paint looks when it is dry; the colors stay so bright!  It smells wonderful too.  If you have never made Kool Aid paint, add this to your MUST DO list.

We also love to make Kool Aid play dough.  Click here for our favorite recipe!

15 comments:

Mandy said...

what a fun idea!

Elise said...

I definitely need to add this to our to do list. So simple to make and my children would get such a kick out of painting with a fragrant paint.

James Lambert said...

This is great! So fun, and I know it smelled so good. Joe did this once at zoo class and loved it!

R's picture is pretty with all those flowers.

danita said...

wow! cool! i will put this on our list the pea is into painting right now!

Rebecca said...

LOVE love this!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness this is awesome!! We are going to try this, I actually just got a great deal on some watercolor paper because the Micheal's by me is moving. Thanks for sharing this great project :0)

Anonymous said...

what a great smelling garden! :)

those flowers turned out great love them

we love kool aid paint too its so fun and smells so good

Sherry said...

I've seen kool-aide paint on several blogs, I think I am gonna do it w Lu .. she would love the smelly effects :) thanks for the reminder!

Ticia said...

Hmmmm..... I wonder if Kool-Aid paint would work for crayon resist paintings...... I'm planning to do that today wiht the kids.....

Mama King said...

Thanks for a great idea! The girls are going to love this.

Sherri said...

Thumbs up again!!!!!
Love this idea!

Jenny said...

I love this idea! You draw really well!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I agree - this is something that should go on my to do list - as soon as I get both Kool Aid and watercolor paper :)

danita said...

so we tried this yesterday, but i bought the koolaid at target and they only had three flavors/colors--purple, blue and red. but when i made the paint they turned out grey, red and red! sniff! the kids loved it though and next time i will buy it at the grocery where there's more variety!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Beautiful!! We love painting with Kool-aid too. We never drink the stuff, but it makes great paint! :-)