Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Champ - the monster in Lake Champlain

Our final project for our Vermont state study, was to make a painting of Lake Champlain.  Lake Champlain is the largest lake in New England, and it is located in Vermont.

C and R each made their own painting.  They used large pieces of poster board for their canvas and painted using brushes, rollers, sponge brushes, and bath poofs.  They had fun using different items to paint.  I knew that if I wanted them to cover the entire surface, I had to make it interesting.  It worked.


Some people believe that a monster named Champ lives in Lake Champlain, so C and R made their own monsters to add to the lakes.  Here is R's monster in her lake:

Here is C's monster in the lake he painted:


I learn so much doing this states project with my children.  I have never heard of Champ before and I live in New England! 

7 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is so neat all that you are learning and teaching C and R! love their monsters! :) can't wait for the next state! i love your state post

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How fun! I am impressed that R stuck with covering a large surface. I have yet to see Anna to really stick with painting, but maybe if she were really interested in making a lake and had so many interesting painting options she would have. Both monsters are very neat - C's detail level is growing all the time.

Ticia said...

I love their monsters. I'll have to remember this for when we get to Vermont, they'll love this!

Jenny said...

Their monsters are so cute!

Susana said...

I love, love, love this! Their monsters are so cool looking--both of them!

Your 50 States project is seriously over the top. Please, come here and do ours. I want to so bad and just don't see it happening at the level I want it to, ie like yours:-), anytime soon.

You are doing such an awesome job with this.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I've never heard of Champ either! How interesting, and looks like the kids had a great time experimenting with all the different painting tools. My girls wouldn't need much encouragement to cover that whole board with paint.... then they would move on to the walls, floors, etc.... ;-)

Mandy said...

Yes, learning with my kids is my favorite part of homeschooling. Okay, just one of my favorite parts! I love it all!